Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

who deals with the finances in your house?

(34 Posts)
zazzabeans Fri 25-Oct-13 14:48:46

Although we have a joint bank account, im the one that sorts out bills,food shopping , clothes etc. Both of our wages get paid into it and our child benefit into a seperate account for xmas, birthdays etc.
I suppose everyone does things differently, one of my friends has to ask her husband for everything and she is happy with that, yet another one of my friends has a different account and her husband covers all of the bills and gives her what she calls "pocket money" she is also happy with that.
just wondering what the norm is lol

Wuldric Sat 09-Nov-13 21:45:44

Being an adult, I deal with my own finances. My husband is also an adult, so he deals with his.

StrictlySazz Sat 09-Nov-13 21:44:48

Me

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 09-Nov-13 21:43:24

Dh does the accounts (joint and cc) in gnu cash. I could do it but lack the patience. I manage the savings and my own business account.

We ate both fairly cautious with money and I cannot remember falling out about it. So in our case nearly everything joint unless there's a reason not to works well.

Is there a correlation between Women who use Mumsnet and Women married to men that don't do finances?

I do all our finances and everything is joint. My wife doesn't use Mumsnet (to my knowledge!).

PicaK Wed 30-Oct-13 18:09:06

Me - because I'm organised and like doing it not because of my gender iykwim. From when we moved in we've pooled earnings so we both had the same spending money. For years I earned more than him, now I'm a sahm and earn nothing.

Salary goes into his account, then swiftly exits to joint (for all bills), savings and my account.

I pay the bills and do the paperwork. I even do his expenses (albeit with a bit of muttering).

mizu Tue 29-Oct-13 20:39:08

Same as others on here. We have a joint account but I organise everything financially and I mean everything.

DH is idle when it comes to money and doesn't even know how to log into the account online.

Drives me mad sometimes but on the other hand I do like to be in control of the finances.

BMW6 Mon 28-Oct-13 21:01:40

We have a joint account which we both contribute to, and my DH has a seperate business account as he is s/e.

I administer both accounts, budget etc. I do all the banking online. and doubt if DH would know where to begin if I popped my clogs!

My DH is the first to admit to being crap with money.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 27-Oct-13 19:21:29

we have a joint account, both pay into it, bills food etc come out of it

rest of our own salary is our own - dp spends on fags and fishing - i spend on choc and books smile

Mum2Fergus Sun 27-Oct-13 18:56:35

Welljel Talkinpeace...that said, I've not updated spreadsheet to include twice yearly bonuses so I may pull it in a bit earlier smile

Talkinpeace Sun 27-Oct-13 16:52:00

my mortgage free date is September 17th 2014
and counting

then the money starts to pile up for the DCs uni living expenses
diverted into some of the killer expensive but fab A level trips at PSC
grin

we adjust the dividends we take from our companies depending on need and will probably make the kids share holders when they are older

Mum2Fergus Sun 27-Oct-13 09:57:45

I do like a good spreadsheet...mine goes to May 2020 as that's when I'm (currently!) due to be mortgage free...yay!

All joint bills come from my ac, DP moved in with me so everything was already set up from my ac anyway. He transfers his contribution to me when he gets paid...we split our contributions based on a %age of overall income, think its 47/53 split at the moment.

DP has little/no idea of day to day costs (bread, milk, etc) but keeps on top of house/utilities expenditure.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 26-Oct-13 22:55:13

Ours is a pretty even split. We each pay a proportionate amount into the joint account, which covers all the communal expenses. He sorts out the broadband and phone, I arrange insurance, gas and electric, he works out the ratios we pay in and does our financial forecasts, I keep an eye on the financial climate and make the big decisions about the mortgage, we are both in the same final salary pension scheme. And he earns about 10% more than me, but I paid the deposit on our house from the sale of our previous one... Not a lot to choose between us.

gamerchick Fri 25-Oct-13 22:02:10

Well both of us... being with a really crap man for years means I can't let go of all the reigns.

We each have our own bank account.. I bring in roughly half the husbands salary.. He takes care of all the big lumps and his debt and I take care of the little lumps and my debt... If either one of us runs out of money then the other person picks up the slack.

It works pretty good.. I would feel really stressed if it was just one bank account.

MrsPnut Fri 25-Oct-13 21:56:39

We have separate accounts but I am an accountant and so I control all of the money. I have short and long term forcasts for our mortgage and our savings so I know when it's best to be overpaying and when it's best to be saving.

We owe nothing but a small mortgage but use a credit card each for all our day to day spending to gain reward points that we use for extras. They get paid off at the end of every month so it's like free stuff.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 25-Oct-13 21:55:47

My dh pays me a wage, lucky me. Out of his money he pays the utilities and out of mine I pay for food, clothing, entertainment, xmas etc. We both have our own accounts. No joint account anymore as we stopped using it.
If one of us is ever short we just ask the other.

Mandy21 Fri 25-Oct-13 21:49:38

I do it all but thats because I'm a control freak good at it.

Everything gets paid into a joint account, we each then transfer "spends" into our own accounts.

I look after everything, mortgage, insurances, bills, credit cards, cars, childcare, activities, ,food budget, holidays, presents, house maintenance costs. H sorts out his mobile phone (just!). H doesn't have a clue how much time and effort goes into it, which has been a bone of contention sometimes, but he is hopeless at it so I don't really have a choice.

WhoKnowsWhereTheSlimeGoes Fri 25-Oct-13 21:40:31

Me, he earns about 5x what I do, I keep my own pay, he keeps an equivalent amount (this amount is enough for personal spending for each of us) and puts the rest in my offset mortgage, all joint expenses come out of that. He has access to it indirectly via a credit card paid out of it by direct debit. We are fortunate not to have to budget too strictly, so by and large it is all done automatically by DDs.

runningonwillpower Fri 25-Oct-13 21:38:41

We pool all our money - always have.

But the day to day management falls to my husband. He sorts everything out and reports back as necessary.

It's evolved that way over a number of years. Mainly because he's meticulous (spreadsheets and all) whereas I'm a bit slapdash.

It works for us.

Talkinpeace Fri 25-Oct-13 21:36:37

I'm an accountant.
I do both of our companies accounts and our personal accounts
I handle all bills etc etc
"why have a dog and bark yourself" says DH

Purple2012 Fri 25-Oct-13 21:35:04

Me. I work out how much we pay into joint account and decide if we can afford big purchases. Dh has no idea about our finances and always asks me if he can buy something big as I always know if we can afford it or not.

Rosvita Fri 25-Oct-13 21:32:34

Also in my job I often have the capacity to work 'extra' hours -although I kiss out on sleep or weekends to do this so I am the one who can work a bit extra if I realise that we have bigger spends coming up eg mot,tax,hol,Xmas etc

Rosvita Fri 25-Oct-13 21:30:33

Ps

Rosvita Fri 25-Oct-13 21:30:18

Po and kids activities paid for by me (as I receive the child benefit which is meant for them anyway!).

Rosvita Fri 25-Oct-13 21:28:58

Me!
We have separate accounts - he pays me his half towards mortgage,bills,1/2 food shop and childcare on payday then all the dd's come out of my account.If there Is a shortfall e.g I overspend on food shop or childcare is slightly more expensive for the month then I cover it (as I am the main earner despite working half the hours dh does). Equally I pay for all the kids clothes,birthday/Xmas presents etc (but then the child benefit gets paid to me). our individual dd's eg for phone, come out of our own accounts.Whatever is left in my account is mine and same for dh - however it is him that will normally 'treat' us to a family meal,takeaway etc and me that pays for family days out such as longleat etc and me who puts away spare into holiday savings.All I ask is that dh pays whatever he
Can afford to spare in addition to his half of the bills for the month if we're saving for something in particular.
Holidays and big purchases are joint decisions but normally funded 70/30 by me I would have said although it does vary.dh hates discussing money and I rip up generic cc applications addressed to him before he has a chance to see them (know from past experience he can't be trusted with a cc!).Holidays/bigger purchases are joint decisions but it's usually me who figures out the best way to go about purchasing things.dh does have a cc in his name which is 0% interest until summer next year which we used to buy cheap flights on for our hol next year before price doubled butthe card is now in my possession and will be paid off in full within the interest free period (dh doesn't know much about importance if not spending on balance transfer cards etc so any cc he's had I've confiscated!).
Friends think we're crazy not to have a
Joint account but I am a control-freak and like to maintain some sort of independence and for us I think a joint account would put unnecessary tension on our relationship.sorry
Long winded answer but there you have it!

zazzabeans Fri 25-Oct-13 16:25:46

my dh has very litte interest in money tbh -i like it that way grin although we have discussed buying a computer for the kids to use but he normally just lets me get on with it .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now