Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

who deals with the finances in your house?

(34 Posts)
zazzabeans Fri 25-Oct-13 14:48:46

Although we have a joint bank account, im the one that sorts out bills,food shopping , clothes etc. Both of our wages get paid into it and our child benefit into a seperate account for xmas, birthdays etc.
I suppose everyone does things differently, one of my friends has to ask her husband for everything and she is happy with that, yet another one of my friends has a different account and her husband covers all of the bills and gives her what she calls "pocket money" she is also happy with that.
just wondering what the norm is lol

Mum2Fergus Sun 27-Oct-13 18:56:35

Welljel Talkinpeace...that said, I've not updated spreadsheet to include twice yearly bonuses so I may pull it in a bit earlier smile

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 27-Oct-13 19:21:29

we have a joint account, both pay into it, bills food etc come out of it

rest of our own salary is our own - dp spends on fags and fishing - i spend on choc and books smile

BMW6 Mon 28-Oct-13 21:01:40

We have a joint account which we both contribute to, and my DH has a seperate business account as he is s/e.

I administer both accounts, budget etc. I do all the banking online. and doubt if DH would know where to begin if I popped my clogs!

My DH is the first to admit to being crap with money.

mizu Tue 29-Oct-13 20:39:08

Same as others on here. We have a joint account but I organise everything financially and I mean everything.

DH is idle when it comes to money and doesn't even know how to log into the account online.

Drives me mad sometimes but on the other hand I do like to be in control of the finances.

PicaK Wed 30-Oct-13 18:09:06

Me - because I'm organised and like doing it not because of my gender iykwim. From when we moved in we've pooled earnings so we both had the same spending money. For years I earned more than him, now I'm a sahm and earn nothing.

Salary goes into his account, then swiftly exits to joint (for all bills), savings and my account.

I pay the bills and do the paperwork. I even do his expenses (albeit with a bit of muttering).

Is there a correlation between Women who use Mumsnet and Women married to men that don't do finances?

I do all our finances and everything is joint. My wife doesn't use Mumsnet (to my knowledge!).

MinesAPintOfTea Sat 09-Nov-13 21:43:24

Dh does the accounts (joint and cc) in gnu cash. I could do it but lack the patience. I manage the savings and my own business account.

We ate both fairly cautious with money and I cannot remember falling out about it. So in our case nearly everything joint unless there's a reason not to works well.

StrictlySazz Sat 09-Nov-13 21:44:48

Me

Wuldric Sat 09-Nov-13 21:45:44

Being an adult, I deal with my own finances. My husband is also an adult, so he deals with his.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now