Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is she entitled to anything?

(8 Posts)
GobbySadcaseFucker Thu 24-Oct-13 18:36:43

She could try for housing and council tax benefit, although until her smp ends she may not have a low enough income - but it's worth applying as she may get something which will then be reviewed upwards once smp ends.

Rockchick1984 Thu 24-Oct-13 18:34:37

What is her salary, and does she just get Statutory Maternity Pay or does her employer offer enhanced terms?

Bluecarrot Thu 24-Oct-13 17:49:55

He should get contributions based jsa sorted as soon as possible. As soon as the baby is born they can claim child benefit and child tax credits. I'm not sure if working family tax credits will be payable though.

Therenfin Thu 24-Oct-13 12:04:07

Yes she will be receiving maternity pay from now on but it isn't enough to pay the rent, council tax, bills, food etc. that's why I'm asking.

bsc Thu 24-Oct-13 01:11:31

If she is on maternity leave, she is still employed, and receiving maternity pay, surely?

fizzoclock Thu 24-Oct-13 01:04:17

The best resource is turn to us
It has a calculator she can use to enter all their details accurately and get a list of things she might be entitled to.
I would think that he should get employment based JSA and that as soon as baby is born they will get child benefit and child tax credits which can be a significant amount. They might also get housing benefit if they rent and have a low income (low income varies depending on cost of housing where you are).
She can use the calculator to work out benefits based on their position now and also use it to work it out with the addition of baby and see what additional benefits they will get then.
Hope that helps!

Rockchick1984 Wed 23-Oct-13 18:01:07

He can claim contributions based JSA for 6 months if he has paid enough national insurance, her salary (presuming she is getting SMP so 6 weeks at 90% salary) will possibly prevent them receiving any other benefits eg housing benefit at the moment.

Therenfin Wed 23-Oct-13 17:29:21

My sister is 35 wks pregnant with her first baby and just started maternity leave. Her partner has just been laid off but when she called up to ask about any financial help they could get, everyone has told her she won't be entitled to anything since she can still technically work and they still count her as employed. This doesn't sound right to me but I'm unsure since my circumstances are very different.

Will she have to wait until he claims JSA before she is entitled to help or does the fact she will be getting maternity pay affect their ability to claim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now