Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

OH cannot handle money, sigh

(6 Posts)
DingbatsFur Sat 19-Oct-13 19:54:06

My OH cannot handle money or a basic credit card. He is 40.
For whatever reason (largely due to OH either working outside the country or not having a regular income due to the nature of his work being tied to the construction industry) I have always been in charge of the family's money. I pay most of the bills and OH pays for the car (MOT, petrol, services though I pay for car tax and towards his insurance). I do not drive the car but I do ride in it so it only seems fair. OH will often pay for food shopping, but usually only groceries here and there. Childcare costs for the 2 kids is split equally between us due to childcare vouchers deducted at source.
OH changed career last year thankfully but still earns half what I do.
I really don't mind paying for most things but I have asked OH on a couple of occasions to come up with whathe felt was a fair sum for his monthly running costs so we could then start saving money. I have asked - few times and he doesn't think about it.
OH has a tesco credit card so I will often ask for the number for the online shopping and then credit the account with the amount of goceries. So put 70£ on the card then pay off 70£ from my bank account.
I have discovered though that he is using the card and not laying anything off. He has often missed the minimum payment so gets charged 15£. I told him to set up a direct debit and now even pay 20£ into it at the start of the month just in case. Last month he didn't open his statement and didn't pay the minimum payment so has been hit with 15£ again.
I am fecking fed up. I am trying to keep us on a decent credit rating and he is p!ssing it away by not doing a simple thing like setting up a basic direct debit. I don't want to treat him like a baby and advise him what to do AGAIN. But I am fed up.
Ahhh venting.

DingbatsFur Sat 19-Oct-13 19:55:38

BTW OH is bringing in over 750£ a month after tax, that surely is enough for a small car only driven at weekends?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 20-Oct-13 08:04:51

£750 a month is a lot of money if all he's paying for is petrol, some annual services and a few groceries. There should be a lot left to put in the family pot for bills and other expenses. I'd want to know where it was going. The only way to achieve that is to get full disclosure... all the credit card/bank statements, cash withdrawals, the lot... work out how much of that £750 should be going by direct debit towards the family pot and have him set up a standing order. Also have the Tesco Credit Card website open at the right page and make him complete the DD form there and then. Yes, it's treating him like a naughty kid but I don't see what choice you have.

specialsubject Sun 20-Oct-13 10:41:04

I think your actual issue is that he WASTES money. And he also needs some basic mathematical skills to understand what life costs and how much credit card interest is.

if he works in construction he can't be that daft. He just needs to bother to use his brain.

debtcamel Sun 20-Oct-13 11:12:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RenterNomad Sat 26-Oct-13 17:34:58

Maybe cancel the Tesco credit card and get him a Vanquis/prepay one. Losing the clubcard points is a small price to pay if you stop losing £15 here and there, plus all the other frittered away money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now