Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Paying Cash in Hand - what are the implications for me?

(8 Posts)
EachDay Wed 16-Oct-13 12:37:04

Where I work we have a caretaker/handyman who works 6:30 - 10:30 2:30 - 6:30, so he's free in the middle of the day.

He's very reliable and good at his job. If I were to employ him to do some odd jobs for me, what are the implications for me?

The cash in hand is not about saving me money, I'd prefer to do it properly and make sure he pays the tax, but he's a "simple" man and doesn't want to complicate matters hmm If I refuse to pay him cash I think he will refuse the work, but even if I pay another way, that isn't going to prove he (or any other tradesman) pays the tax, is it?

SuperiorCat Wed 16-Oct-13 12:50:32

Depends, are you going to register as an employer with HMRC and pay his tax and NI, or is it a casual thing like a window cleaner for eg where he is self employed? If it is the latter then the tax is his responsibility.

EachDay Wed 16-Oct-13 12:53:55

No, I just want him to fix some door hinges and put up a shelf! If it goes well, there may be more similar jobs in future, but nothing regular. So it is like he's self-employed, but he's not, he works for the same people and I do. i.e. he isn't/won't be registered self-employed.

I know it's his responsibility, but I wonder if simply by doing it I'm being "dodgy". I also wonder what his (and my) employer might make of it.

peggyundercrackers Wed 16-Oct-13 13:03:35

if you employ him the onus is on him to declare any additional earnings he has. As for your employer - do they vet all the people you ask to do things in your house? if not then its nothing to do with them. it would be up to him to declare to his employer he has taken on another job.

your making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 16-Oct-13 13:27:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 16-Oct-13 13:28:15

Sorry misread. Forget pr

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 16-Oct-13 13:29:55

Earlier messages wrong advice. If he gives you an invoice saying X hours worked at Y pounds per hour is Z amount then I would be happy to pay him cash.

morethanmama Wed 16-Oct-13 13:33:40

What you are describing doesn't sound like an employer relationship. It's no different than if you had phoned him out of the yellow pages. It would be different of ge was going to work for you for set hours everyday going forward, then you moght be his employer but what you have described doesnt sound like that. His moral responsibilities are nothing to do with you. It is up to him to declare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now