Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Crisis Loans?

(9 Posts)
noseymcposey Wed 16-Oct-13 10:41:28

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but asking on behalf of a friend who is trying the help her Dad so may not have all the info I need to hand.

Basically her dad is suffering from cancer and needs to travel up the hospital in London for his treatment 5 days a week (he is starting radiation) He has recently split up from his gf and is staying with his brother but the travel costs from his brothers in Kent to the hospital (train ticket) is approx £400 per month. He has no income apart from £70 odd a week benefit so can't pay it. Is there any organisation that could help with this?

Essexdarling Wed 16-Oct-13 10:52:18

Crisis loans have been stopped now, but dwp do budgeting loans to help

ssd Wed 16-Oct-13 10:55:01

maybe McMillan would be better placed to help with advice regards this?

Rockchick1984 Wed 16-Oct-13 10:55:16

Many hospitals have options available to assist with this, has he spoken to PALS at the hospital where he is receiving treatment? My friend's gran was able to use a minibus service which collected her and brought her home throughout her treatment. Meant she had a bit of a wait at the hospital as it did one run for quite a few people who lived close together, but was entirely free.

ParsingFright Wed 16-Oct-13 10:58:54

He should be able to get reimbursement for travel costs to hospital. The NHS info site seems to be down at the moment, but google "travel costs to hospital."

Also, because it's cancer, Macmillan Cancer Support should be able to advise him on this.

Good luck, and sorry your friend's dad is going through this.

debtcamel Wed 16-Oct-13 11:03:25

if he is getting ESA (income based) which is my guess beased on your "£70 odd a week" then he can get travel costs refunded: www.patient.co.uk/health/Help-with-Travel-Costs-to-Hospital.htm

Babyroobs Wed 16-Oct-13 11:07:14

Many cancer hospitals have suites where patients undergoing Radiotherapy can stay, usually just like rooms where you can lodge monday- friday. The reasons for this are that patients often have to travel significant distances to regional Radiotherapy centres and because having radiotherapy is extremely tiring and people cannot cope with the travelling. It may be worth him enquiring as there is usually no charge.

ParsingFright Wed 16-Oct-13 11:07:28

He may still be able to get travel costs if he isn't getting ESA, too.

noseymcposey Wed 16-Oct-13 11:38:26

That's all wonderful, excellent advice than you very much!

I will pass it all on to my friend. They are already in touch with MacMillan and their Macmillan nurse did an application for assistance with him 4 weeks ago but that was before his living circumstances changed. She didn't say anything specifially about trael costs but I don't know all the details of that, I got the impression that was to do with his living costs. And yes he is getting ESA, thanks debtcamel I couldn't remember the name for it.

Thank you so much again for your quick replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now