Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Really confused about WTC and claiming for child care costs

(3 Posts)
Caramelbutthorn Wed 16-Oct-13 00:38:43

Hi all,

Apologies for asking what I am sure is a stupid question...

I am a lone parent with no financial support from the ex, trying to work out what is best for me to do financially but am confused about childcare costs.

I've read that I can claim up to £175 per week in child care costs.
I also know that I can claim WTC if / when I go back to work.

My questions are:-

How do I claim for child care costs
Do I have to go to a particular provider for this?
and the £175/week for childcare, is this in addition to the WTC or instead of it?

Thank you all for your help,

C xx

debtcamel Wed 16-Oct-13 08:16:44

1) on your Tax Credits claim

2) yes, the childcare must be registered or approved, see page 3 of this useful leaflet

3) WTC provides help with childcare costs AND additional money if your wages are low - these are calculated and shown as different elements

Caramelbutthorn Wed 16-Oct-13 12:18:40

Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now