Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What will i be entitled to when my baby is here??

(16 Posts)
Loislulabell1 Sun 13-Oct-13 09:56:18

Hi everyone! I am 19 years old and 29 weeks pregnant i live with my mum as my boyfriend of 3 years does not want to know now i am having. Baby...

I would like to know what benefit i am going to be receiving once the baby is born and how much it is? I am on income support now and also received sure start maternity grant.

also if i was to go to work part time once the baby is born will i still receive any benefits? As this is what i am planning to do.

Thanks!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 13-Oct-13 10:44:04

Try www.turn2us.org.uk where you'll find a good benefits checker. Input your current details and then do it again adding your part-time wage.

debtcamel Sun 13-Oct-13 10:59:43

When baby is born you will get Income Support, Child Benefit & Child Tax Credit.

If you lived apart from family, you would also get help with the rent through Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. But as a single parent being with your family has lots of other plus points, especially in the first few months as you and baby get to know each other and get a routine sorted.

If you work 16 hours or more you will get help through the working tax credit if you are on a low wage and with the cost of childcare.

The benefits checker CES linked to is excellent. Book mark it so that you can play with what-if questions later on - "if I work 5 mor hours how will my benefits change", "If I move out, what other help will I get" etc

If the father is in work, you should be asking for maintenence - this isn't an 'option if he feels like it'.

Essexdarling Sun 13-Oct-13 11:01:40

You'll get income support for yourself and child tax credit for your bubby, if you go back to work depending in hours possibly lose income support and swap over to working tax credit,
Well done you for trying to stay in work, being a single mum is hard work, talk to your job center adviser, they will help you out... Remember nothing is permenant if you do get a job an it doesn't work out, you can go straight back to benefits, in the first few weeks you come off benefits they leave your case open incase you need to go back on smile
Hope this helps
Now go have a cuppa and rest your bump, not long now smile

specialsubject Sun 13-Oct-13 13:17:20

seconded - set the CSA on your sperm donor.

good luck with it all.

maras2 Sun 13-Oct-13 13:58:26

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that your parents died in a car crash Isn't that what you posted on the Relationship Board?

mumtobealloveragain Sun 13-Oct-13 16:26:12

That's a bit harsh Maras2! Adoptive mum, foster mum, other relative whom she calls "mum", the ex boyfriends mum, all could be perfectly reasonable explanation.

OP I also agree with the others straight on the phone to the CSA make sure of your ex isn't going to support your baby practically the last he can do is support the baby financially.

GrandpaInMyBlender Sun 13-Oct-13 20:32:22

To be fair on maras2, OP does contradict herself on a few threads. On one she is going it completely alone because her bf left her and parents are dead. On this one she lives with her mum. On one thread her bf of three years has left her. On another she had been with him since she was 13. A month ago she was in full time work with maternity leave. Now she's on IS with sure start grant already given (which definitely takes longer than a month to process). It is a bit odd.

Loislulabell1 Mon 14-Oct-13 09:30:17

Yes i have a foster mum thank you for being so inconsiderate. Did you think i just brung myself up....

CbeebiesIsMyLife Mon 14-Oct-13 09:38:56

the turn to u benefit checker is a great tool for working out what you will be entitled to. but op looking at grandpa's post it looks like things have gotten a little confused. I don't think anyone is trying to be hurtful, ime people on mn just really want to help other posters out, but it looks dodgy when you post contradicting posts and many many people here have been burnt by trolls before. I'm sure there is a simple explanation?

Loislulabell1 Mon 14-Oct-13 09:49:39

On my previous post I have explained..I wrote a post on behalf of a family member who is working and has been with her boyfriend 6 years. My posts are the two regarding my financial situation and being on my own as my boyfriend has left me. I wouldn't be writing these posts if they weren't true what is the point in that? And for the sure start maternity grant issue the form has been sent and i received a letter to say i am entitled to it so thats how i know i will receive it!

Some people....

nicole1528 Mon 14-Oct-13 09:50:50

You will get income support for your self then child tax and child benefit for your baby

CbeebiesIsMyLife Mon 14-Oct-13 10:02:17

louis, I hadnt seen any other posts until after I posted this. An explanation on one thread generally isn't enough. I'm really sorry youre going through a tough time especially as your boyfriend left you becasue its a girl sad better off without him in my opinion, if thats his attitude of girls it will just become abusive in time.

And to avoid this situation if people are posting on behalf of other people the usually name change and make it very very clear.

I knew there would be a simple explanation for it all. Have you joined an antinatal thread yet? they are great for support from pregnant woman who are the same gestation as you, I'm on may and they are all so very lovely, what month are you due in? i'm sure we could point you in the direction of one.

if youre genuine ignore the troll hunters, like I said some people do post for 'fun' and many peopel (including myself) have been taken in and burnt. Its not nice so people are much more suspicious these days sad

GrandpaInMyBlender Mon 14-Oct-13 11:15:55

Wow, it must be exciting you and your foster sister being exactly the same age and exactly as far into your pregnancies as each other. Lots to talk about. And plenty of people write posts that aren't true especially when they don't realise that you can read the old ones by doing a simple search. But apologies if I was wrong. I should have reported not hunted!

MrsDeVere Mon 14-Oct-13 11:26:42

If you post AS your FS instead of FOR her you are going to get yourself in a right pickle.

Can your FS not join MN? That way there will not be anymore confusion

CbeebiesIsMyLife Mon 14-Oct-13 12:01:45

My thoughts exactly grandpa, but how impossible is it to have exactly the same cycle to ovulate at the same time, have around the same time and get pregnant at the same time? My own sister is 2 weeks ahead of me, but...well I guess anything is possible right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now