Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much does your tv/ phone/ broadband cost you?

(25 Posts)
dingit Wed 09-Oct-13 08:09:51

We are with Virgin. Our average bill is £85 per month. This includes free calls, and sports and movie channels. But it seems to go up all the time and I am getting a bit shock.

I would be interested what Sky people pay too.

Rubberstamp Wed 09-Oct-13 08:23:23

We pay £30 a month with Sky. That's for HD, fibre optic broadband, phone line and all standard tv packages (but not sports or films). Everytime it comes to renewal we just phone up and say we're going to cancel and they generally will halve the bill. Sports we watch free online and films, if we do get them, we get via lovefilm or blockbuster.

dingit Wed 09-Oct-13 08:42:03

Wow. £55 is a lot for the rest then. I've tried the I'm leaving trick, but they said I already have a discount shock

cece Wed 09-Oct-13 08:49:34

I rearranged my deal with virgin last week.

I only have unlimited calls and 60mb of bb (no TV) and pay £24.50. pm

dingit Wed 09-Oct-13 08:53:04

Ok. So my tv costs £60! Wtf? I'm tempted to get a quote from sky, but I've heard they temp you with a low price that then rockets. The other problem is I have no Bt socket!

edlyu Wed 09-Oct-13 09:04:29

I pay about £55 per month for Virgin .For this I have XL Tv package which is all channels but no sky,sports or movies. Broadband and phone

I have recently subscribed to Netflix which is a good source of films and series . The biggest thing I have recently done though is to finally manage to connect all of our computers to the smart TV so we can use Youtube as a fantastic addition to normal tv .

In fact now that Ive done that I think I will cancel the TV package altogether as the smart tv also has built in freeview .

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 09-Oct-13 09:30:30

BT.. BT Vision, 24/7 inclusive phone-calls and unlimited high speed broadband and it's about 40 - 45/month depending on whether we've paid to view movies or gone over the free 1 hour phone-calls

gamerchick Wed 09-Oct-13 09:34:31

I pay around 42 with Virgin for broadband and phone line for the L package.

I pay 22 quid for sky.. but it's just a bog standard package.

gamerchick Wed 09-Oct-13 09:35:54

I don't have a bt socket either for the sky. I don't have it plugged in anyway.

Thatsinteresting Wed 09-Oct-13 10:43:29

I pay about £20 per month for unlimited broadband and free call all day. I also have a Lovefilm subscription, £7.99 per month for films. Occasionally I uses Blinkbox which is around £3.50 a film. We also have freeview. Have you thought how much you really watch sports, not just have it on? Now TV do pay per view but I don't know much about it.

dingit Wed 09-Oct-13 11:43:10

The sport is the one thing we must keep! DH loves it ( would watch tiddlywinks if that was all that was on! I think then the films cost £10. They've got us haven't they!
Had an advert for talk talk today, might get a quote but again it's a low price to temp you in.

specialsubject Wed 09-Oct-13 11:57:34

remember that all quotes tend to exclude the landline rental, which you must have.

thatsinteresting if that £20 includes the line rental, please tell me more!

Rubberstamp Wed 09-Oct-13 12:56:46

Our £30 for Sky includes the line rental. So that's for all six TV packages, fibre optic broadband, phone and HD. But it doesn't include movies or sports. My OH watches all the sport online (probably through dodgy online streams) and films we have a 3.99 lovefilm subscription.
I still think this is too much as I only watch 'normal' telly and really don't see much HD difference but the man argued that we'd be paying nearly as much for just a phone line and normal broadband so I relented.

Thatsinteresting Thu 10-Oct-13 12:21:45

Special I signed up to Plusnet for 18months. I paid the line rentalfor 12 months in advance as it was cheaper, £10.50 instead of £14.50. There was an offer on for the first 9 months for the broadband, I got £90 cashback (Quidco and Plusnet offer) so over the term of the contract it's £19.31 per month, if I don't buy another 12 months line rental. It's worth having a look to see what they're offering now.

Alternatively, if you don't want the faff, Tesco do unlimited broadband and all day calls for £21.40 a month, and clubcard points. It's a 12 month offer but I rang them in month 11 and just asked what offers where available and they said for my loyalty I could have free unlimited broadband taking it down to £19.40 a month.

Have a look on a comparison site. Someone on here recommended Primus as they're really cheap too. £20 per month all you need to pay. Hth.

Dwerf Thu 10-Oct-13 12:27:26

My last bill was about £25. I'm with talktalk for phone and net. For TV I have freeview, but I barely watch tv, last week I think I watched three hours in total.

They keep offering me discounts because my contract runs out next month. They are cheap, but they have annoyed me. So I may look into another provider.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 11-Oct-13 15:26:28

I'm with BT unlimited download, free night and weekend calls and BT vision with box set package. £18.99 per month.

specialsubject Sat 12-Oct-13 14:17:55

thatsinteresting thanks for that. Will try to get my head round it!

Bunbaker Sat 12-Oct-13 14:36:52

We pay £25 a month for line rental, all UK calls at any time of the day and broadband with Utility Warehouse. No Sky as we don't even have time to watch everything we want on Freeview.

Preciousbane Sat 12-Oct-13 14:40:58

33 a month with virgin, calls 24/7 for up to one hour, up to 150 minutes to 0845 and mobiles per month, caller ID, and large broadband. We only have free view channels. I subscribe to lovefilm instant at 5.99 a month.

dingit Sat 12-Oct-13 14:59:10

For those with sky, is your broadband fast and reliable? I have now got a quote from sky, which gives me a £300 saving. After that the cost is the same as I am paying with virgin. Also sky have a callout fee for faults.

dingit Sat 12-Oct-13 14:59:47

After 12 months that is.

raisah Sun 13-Oct-13 21:22:33

www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/

We pay £30 per month & I found the above link useful to cut the cost of most of our outgoings.

overthemill Sun 13-Oct-13 21:28:24

talktalk tv/broadband/telephone £35pcm. half the price of bt when we switched last december. it includes free lovefilm instant via computer and some free tv extras except cos our broadband speed is slow we cant actually watch them!

Artandco Sun 13-Oct-13 21:35:59

£26 for unlimited Internet and downloads, includes line rental and evening and weekend calls. Don't have any tv package. But do pay £4.99 a month for Netflix

Artandco Sun 13-Oct-13 21:36:39

Oh that's bt btw. We didn't have a bt box either but they came and installed one and new box etc for free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now