Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is anyone prepared to share what maintenance they receive on one child from xp?

(58 Posts)
treadingwater123 Sat 05-Oct-13 22:36:31

Separated from dds dad 12 yrs ago when she was 2 - we have private arrangement it doesn't feel anywhere enough but I'm not sure if I'm right

fuckwittery Sat 05-Oct-13 22:38:32

Should be 15 % of his net income, that is the csa formula. If he has your dd overnight there are deductions, once a week on average over a year would be a 1/7 deduction.

racmun Sat 05-Oct-13 22:39:49

Everyone's is different because everyone earns different amount has other children to support.

Do you know what he earns? If so go on the csa calculator and see if its at least the minimum you 're entitled to.

chocolatespiders Sat 05-Oct-13 22:40:50

Big fat Zero.. for 2 dd's

HorizontalRunningOnly Sun 06-Oct-13 08:06:44

£75 a week - except he hasn't actually given he any thus was the figure from his mind when he walked out last month. No idea if that's right esp now he's walked out of his job and become 'self employed'

Preciousbane Sun 06-Oct-13 11:06:24

With inflation regardless of amount given it must surely be time for some more. It is based on his earnings though as mentioned above.

I have three friends who are lone parents, two receive sweet FA and one received about 50 a week but her OH was self employed so could income hide if he wanted to.

TheLadyVie Sun 06-Oct-13 11:57:23

Bugger all at the moment. Was £28 a week when I first started claiming from him. Then he lost his job and for a while I got nothing. Then the grand sum of £10 a fortnight started while he was on benefits. Now he has started a new job but they haven't got all the details from him so I'm back to sweet FA. Not holding my breath for anything tbh.

Rooners Sun 06-Oct-13 11:59:11

10 a week.

Sweet FA for over 10 years now. Every couple of years I get the letter saying 'We've awarded you (this) as he hasn't supplied income details' but nothing ever happens.

Rhinosaurus Sun 06-Oct-13 12:00:50

£200/ month for 16 year old, although he only started paying this a year ago when CSa got involved, guess it's not much averaged over 16 years!!

Doinmummy Sun 06-Oct-13 12:02:26

Absolutely fecking nothing . DD was 9 months old when he left she's nearly 16 now. angry

SIL gets £5 a week for each dc. She has 2 and he has no other children. It's a private arrangement which she moans about constantly.

racmun Mon 07-Oct-13 18:49:18

This is appalling my dh has another son and would never dream of not paying for him! I can 't believe how many father's out there don't support their children - it really annoys me as it tends to give all NRP fathers a bad name and that just isn't true.

SodsLawRules Tue 08-Oct-13 19:53:57

£42 a month through the Csa. However he is self employed and hides his earnings. He has his own business and I know how much he makes. He has now been done for drink driving so that will probably put an end to any maintenance at all.

zoerussell Tue 08-Oct-13 19:54:12

My ex pays me £750 a month which goes towards my rent as he wanted to sell the house we lived in and get a mortgage with his new partner . He regularly tells
Me he pays more than he needs to. But I don't believe there is an amount that equals supporting your children he earns agood salary and I gave up my career to stay at home and raise our children , when he left I got myself a decent job but I made sure he paid me enough to still live in a nice house so my boys haven't been disadvantaged because he chose to leave us . I grew up with nothing and my dad never supported me and my sister or gave my mum anything . I think it's too easy for dads to pay next to nothing and leave the day to day raising of their children to all the mums but still expect to have all the fun times with them . ��

WithConfidence Tue 08-Oct-13 19:55:42

From Gingerbread:
Only two-fifths (38 per cent) of single parents receive maintenance from their child’s other parent.

Disgusting!

buttercup75 Tue 08-Oct-13 20:02:20

Yep I know the feeling, 3 kds and 6yrs no money.

VBisme Tue 08-Oct-13 20:06:53

I'm truely horrified, my DH has 2 children, and we would never consider not paying their mum maintenance. Even when DH has not been working we cover the costs.

Really only 38%????? Some men really are shits aren't they.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 08-Oct-13 20:13:32

I work for gingerbread. It's true. hmm And the whole system is changing next year when the CSA is no more and parents will be expected to male their own arrangements or pay for an external service.

VBisme Tue 08-Oct-13 20:32:55

Sorry, why the hmm face? I don't think its unreasonable to be surprised at that.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 08-Oct-13 20:42:24

Is that system definitely coming in then Scarletts? I get £5 per fortnight (only been getting that since Feb and DS is 7 hmm) so it's not worth me paying to get that little, ffs.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 08-Oct-13 20:52:16

Sad that so many parents don't pay child support! System coming in as far as I am aware! Just arranged training for my staff on the changes to the system.

VBisme Tue 08-Oct-13 20:55:15

Sorry Scarlettsmummy2, I misunderstood the smiley, are you on the app by any chance? hmm is the hmm face, sad is the sad face. So it looked like you were quizzicle (sp) rather than sad.

Sindarella Tue 08-Oct-13 20:57:29

I have an agreement with ExP that he pays £30 per week. He has ds 6yo overnight on wednesdays and saturdays, also picks him up from school on tuesdays.

mindfullymum Tue 08-Oct-13 21:09:45

Apparently, in the US, financial contributions are directly linked to access. In the UK we appear to have the reverse of this. Pay what you like, when you like, and no matter what the implications are to leave children without a basic standard of living, someone else will pick up the tab (state benefits, mum's income, family).

My ex's contributions dwindled from £500 pcm to £5 pcm over two years. Exasperated, I went to the CSA hoping for a much better outcome. I was wrong. He has steadily reduced the minimum to now £49 a week whilst increasing his access for 'fun' time. I work full time because I have no choice. Ex has just announced he's opening a savings account for our son. How can we have a system that actively promotes ways in which non-resident parents can divert precious funds from their children when they need it most?? The new system will be even worse and many more children and (by implication their mothers) will be left to go without.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now