Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How's your pension looking?

(27 Posts)
illbebroke Sat 05-Oct-13 22:18:45

Just calculated mine and I'll be looking at £9K a year if I retire at 60 (won't get state pension 'til I'm 67). What's your future looking like?

Littleredsquirrel Thu 24-Oct-13 09:55:50

I haven't paid into mine for a couple of years now since I'm self employed but I am about to change that. Pensions are a really difficult area. They are complicated and confuse the vast majority of people. I know I don't feel like I understand everything and I'm an employment lawyer!

The issue raised about having paid off the mortgage though is that most people who have paid off their mortgage would then look to downsize wouldn't they and then use the money from the sale of their house? Certainly that is part of our plan. There's no way we need a house this size if its just the two of us (although money grabbing DSs (6 and 8) have their beady eyes on the place already!)

MadeOfStarDust Thu 24-Oct-13 10:07:44

I have a few pensions - mix of civil service (nice! ), local government (mmmm?!) and private (pants) - luckily my civil service one has 20 years on it... and we paid off the mortgage in May... and hubby has a good 30 years pension building up too - another 15 to go!...

So assuming all goes to plan, assuming we are still together ......

since I only work very part time now..... and 3 of 4 pensions are currently index linked... we will actually as a couple be taking home around the same retired assuming we ever get to retire as now.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now