Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What is middle class?

(19 Posts)
madchocolatemum48 Wed 02-Oct-13 16:42:02

I always considered myself working class (even though I haven't actually worked for years), but when I said this the other day I was laughed at. Hubby has a good job; I don't work, SAHM. Is it just how much money you have coming in or is it how you spend it that distinguishes class. confused

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 02-Oct-13 16:43:39

Money is NOT an indication of class.

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 02-Oct-13 17:18:40

I think money is definitely part of it, but there's a lot more to it than that. I guess you haven't seen the BBC calculator: www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

It caused a bit of a furore when it was published, but at least it indicates that social status is multidimensional, and not just a unction of how much you earn.

ZiaMaria Wed 02-Oct-13 17:24:08

I think it is supposed to be a mixture of money, what you do with it, and attitudes (such as towards education/benefits/travel/etc. But unless someone falls into a stereotype, its really too much bother to try and work it out.

DameDeepRedBetty Wed 02-Oct-13 17:28:46

Oh lord this one again...

PlatinumStart Wed 02-Oct-13 17:35:01

Nope money is meaningless...what you do and what your parents do is what counts grin

EstoyAqui Wed 02-Oct-13 18:05:13

I'm established middle class according to that BBC test. hmm

lljkk Netherlands Wed 02-Oct-13 18:11:02

the definition is changing sharply and fast so nobody can give you a definitive answer. Separating income from society position is the old-fashioned way of defining class in Britain, but this is changing.

madchocolatemum48 Thu 03-Oct-13 07:48:00

Just did the BBC test and I'm established middle class apparently. I do share a lot with other categories in the test though. I always thought Aurdrey from The Good Life was middle class, which I am nothing like...
Maybe I do put people in stereotypical boxes too, just didn't think about it till someone brought it up last week hmm

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 03-Oct-13 11:00:30

Margot.. smile What Margot was, was a 'snob' and I think that's at the heart of the whole class thing ie. how you see yourself in relation to others and how you see others in relation to yourself. Stereotypes, prejudices and tribal loyalties all come into play. If you think the working class tag equates with positive attributes such as being grounded, industrious and 'in touch with reality', for example, you'll want to identify with that. Different matter to 'socio-economic grouping' which can be measured.

WhizzforAtomms Thu 03-Oct-13 11:04:36

Is no-one going to mention relationship to the means of production?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 03-Oct-13 11:51:58

Is that the Marxist take on it?

Sixtiesqueen Sun 13-Oct-13 00:54:38

Apparently I'm elite. This does not explain why I am usually completely skint. They don't ask about disposable income.

Me2Me2 Sun 13-Oct-13 01:04:55

What is the middle class' relationship to the means of production though? You can't talk in those terms anymore. Bankers, consultants etc out earn a lot of owners these days
It the uk class is more complicated than other countries. I'd saying doesn't have a whole lot to d

Me2Me2 Sun 13-Oct-13 01:07:51

.. do with it anymore.
I also think class is unimportant. 'Middle class' in particular has lots of negative connotations, or maybe that's just my feeling (I'm squarely middle class, without doing the bbc test)

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Sun 13-Oct-13 01:09:07

I got elite.

Me2Me2 Sun 13-Oct-13 01:09:57

Or I should say rather that I'm simply illiterate, rereading my post. Damn phone

BillyBanter Sun 13-Oct-13 01:11:22

middle class is a subset of working class.

debtcamel Sun 13-Oct-13 08:37:11

here is an interesting survey on how Americans define 'middle class' , because over there is much closer to being simply defined by money rather than with snobbish "I'm better then them" overtones: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/09/13/how-do-you-define-middle-class-people-who-make-what-i-do/?mod=trending_now_2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now