Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Confused about housing benefit rules

(6 Posts)
MamaPingu Sat 28-Sep-13 15:47:00

Me and my partner can't currently afford to live together and are unable to until he passes his driving test and gets a better job, therefore I'm living alone and claiming housing benefit as I only work 16 hours.

Is it true he can stop over as long as we are financially independent? Because we do keep our money separate, he doesn't help me with any bills or food or anything!

Has anyone heard from the benefits office themselves what the rules are?
I see a lot of people speculating about what it might be but they don't have any reason to say so! grin

Thanks smile

noisytoys Sat 28-Sep-13 15:48:54

You are on shaky ground if he stays over but you use your benefit to pay the rent when you wouldn't be eligible for it if he lived with you.

MamaPingu Sat 28-Sep-13 16:04:45

We can't possibly live together because he can't get to work so stops at home (living with his parents) when he has work. We're a bit stuck really! confused

BopsX3 Sat 28-Sep-13 16:22:04

I was told XP could stay at mine 2 nights a week, but only because we have children together. Any more than that and he'd have been classed as living at mine. This was a few years ago though, might've changed since then

BopsX3 Sat 28-Sep-13 16:23:04

Sorry, 3 nights a week, not 2

MamaPingu Sat 28-Sep-13 16:33:27

3 would probably be as many as he'd be able to stay so that would be really good if it's still the same! smile

We have a little boy together, we're working towards living together but there's no chance til he can drive unfortunately confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now