Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Confused about housing benefit

(7 Posts)
MamaPingu Fri 27-Sep-13 19:55:39

I need to leave my parents house ASAP and have a house in mind that would be ideal.

I have the dilemma of I can't claim until I'm in the house but can't really risk moving in until I've claimed?

Where do I start?! smile

minsmum Fri 27-Sep-13 19:57:46

if you look on your local authorities website there is normally a benefit calculator on it. If you put in all the details it will give you a rough idea

MamaPingu Fri 27-Sep-13 20:12:14

Will I have no choice but to move in first and then claim?

humbugholder Fri 27-Sep-13 20:31:36

Yes, you won't be able to claim until you have moved as you will need to provide a copy of your tenancy to be able to. Be aware that Local Housing Allowance is paid a month in arrears too.

MamaPingu Fri 27-Sep-13 21:06:35

Is it guaranteed I'll be able to claim it because I am on low income? I work 16 hours and claim tax credits and have a baby, don't want to risk getting into debt or anything!

JakeBullet Fri 27-Sep-13 21:08:48

Hi mama! check out the Turn2us website as you can input all your income to it and the proposed rent. It will then give you some idea about what HB you might be entitled to.

MamaPingu Fri 27-Sep-13 22:15:03

Thank you very much all three of you smile

Found out it'll cover my rent which is brill, happy days for me and my little mister smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now