Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Atos Healthcare are evil!

(15 Posts)
Mrsjaffacake Fri 27-Sep-13 15:17:57

Need some help and advice for family member so has to prove why he can't work etc.

I have heard some real horror stories about the fact they have the power to stop your money while appealing!

So far he has to fill in form , they need medical documents (which he can provide).

Very concerned, can anybody help please?!

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-Sep-13 16:46:15

I think a lot of the horror stories are just that. Stories. If your family member has health problems serious enough to prevent him from working and he has the medical documents to support his claim, then he should stay calm, provide the information and take it from there.

Mrsjaffacake Sun 29-Sep-13 15:51:58

Looking for some helpful advice anyone??? Anyone hand any first hand knowledge?

Rockchick1984 Sun 29-Sep-13 16:58:38

I'd say Cog's advice is very helpful confused unless you are specifically looking for horror stories? Other than that, can you give details on what advice you are after, you don't seem to make that clear in your post, has your relative sent off the evidence requested?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 29-Sep-13 17:30:04

My cousin suffers from a serious MH condition which is controlled reasonably well with medication. She was nervous about the assessment because any social interaction makes her anxious. However, she holds down a simple part-time job and that's what they assessed her as being capable of. No drama.

timidviper Sun 29-Sep-13 17:34:54

Friend of mine went through an appeal. The worry was difficult but it all went fine and her benefits were approved.

I agree with cog there is a lot of false scare sories out there. Rather jumping the gun to say ATOS are evil when you are just asking for info isn't it? confused

Mrsjaffacake Sun 29-Sep-13 20:32:15

Well in a nut shell family member is sure he will have to appeal. The worry is appeals can take upto a year and they freeze your money. This is why job centre worker told me food banks are increasing due to high demand.

My fear is the stress on him if he has go appeal, he already has mental health problems and potentially could make matters worse.

Sorry I realise my title is wrongly worded as its the process not just Atos that scares me.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 30-Sep-13 09:57:31

Maybe it would be a good idea to provide your family member practical/financial support as he goes through the process rather than project your fears on him? Could you accompany him to any meetings, for example, or help him fill out the forms?

Norudeshitrequired Tue 01-Oct-13 06:52:28

The only advice is to stay calm and go through the process as necessary.
You are right to be concerned as there gave been a lot of reports about atos making incorrect decisions about people's fitness to work but there is no point panicking prematurely.

Organisations have done some work towards forcing the issue on the inefficiency and incorrect decision making that has gone on with atos.

benefitclaimantsfightback.wordpress.com/open-letter-on-atos-healthcare-to-the-bmj-and-rcn/

34DD Thu 03-Oct-13 19:29:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiredlady Thu 03-Oct-13 19:38:24

34DD speaks a lot of sense.
Definitely take someone into the interview with you.
ATOS lie through their teeth.
They are unbelievably ignorant about mental health issues.
Good Luck

Mrsjaffacake Thu 03-Oct-13 21:48:27

Thank you 34DD.

Mrsjaffacake Thu 03-Oct-13 21:51:18

He is going to take support worker with him. Form has been sent now have to wait and see what happens.

34DD Thu 03-Oct-13 22:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ParsingFancy Thu 03-Oct-13 23:24:58

You can actually insist that ATOS record the interview. I've done this. They give you one copy, and they get one copy.

You can state that you want it recorded in the "any other info" box at the end of the form - I know you've sent that back already, but don't panic. They completely ignored my recording request on the form, and I had to write and remind them when they actually organised the date of the interview.

At the very least, your relative's support worker should take notes. And if, as has happened to me, the interviewer tries to tell them not to take notes, ignore and carry on - noting the fact that the interviewer is trying to stop them!

Also, be mentally (and practically) prepared for the fact that the interview may be cancelled on the day. I don't know what your area is like, but since the new assessments were brought in, for every assessment I've had, the interview has been cancelled at least once. And even on the days I actually was interviewed, they were phoning to cancel people by mid morning, and sending people away who had already arrived - some for the second time.

I gather this is because they book at 130% and rely on sending people away, rather than risk being at less than 100% utilisation.

Anyway, as I say, your area may be different, but your relative may find it quite disturbing to psych up for the journey and interview and then have the rug pulled at the last minute.

Yes yes to what PP says about getting the report afterwards. Some of mine have included comments which clearly pertained to another interviewee (eg "Texted on mobile phone after taking out tablets" when I don't have any tablets and my phone had never been out of my handbag). Hopefully your relative won't need to make a complaint about the report, but it's good to have it there if they need it.

Good luck with it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now