Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Little addition

(7 Posts)
LittlemissBT Thu 26-Sep-13 20:11:51

Would love another child at some point but currently cash strapped, just wanted advice on planning another for when 15 hours applies but back to work before DD1 starts school or plan another for just DD starts school and be on mat leave for this? What has anyone else done/experienced

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 27-Sep-13 08:12:34

My suggestion is not to base your family planning on the current benefit rules because they're probably going to change. Aim for self-sufficiency (save up, improve job, cut expenses etc) as far as possible and treat any state help as a bonus. Good luck

AnythingNotEverything Fri 27-Sep-13 08:14:52

I agree - do what works for your family. You may prefer a particular age gap for one reason or another.

There's never a good time to have a baby - you've never enough time or money!

Could you tighten your belts now and save up a cushion to protect you while you're on maternity leave?

LittlemissBT Fri 27-Sep-13 18:14:54

I was demoted quite a lot on return to work from DD. We thought we had it all planned out but weren't prepared for me to lose my job, just got back on track from then so I guess I'm mentally preparing for that again too. I guess the answer is if we couldn't get by on one wage then don't have another sad

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 28-Sep-13 08:39:23

If you only have the number of children you can support it's called being responsible. Nothing whatsoever to reproach yourself for.

LittlemissBT Sat 28-Sep-13 13:27:08

Thanks for advice cogito - one more thing - would you request part time working hours just before having mat leave so if it was refused I'd be able to request again on return from mat leave?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 28-Sep-13 13:44:43

I wouldn't personally but then I've worked FT from DS being 13 weeks old because I'm a lone parent and can't afford any drop in income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now