Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Trying to work out monthly pay whilst on Maternity Leave- do you pay Tax and NI on SMP?

(4 Posts)
Tiredemma Mon 23-Sep-13 17:12:16

I have been sent a break down by my payroll for the next six months- it has my Half OMP and also my SMP and provides a 'gross' total for each month. Im trying to work out what ill come out with Net but im unsure if I just take the deductions off my Half pay and then add the SMP back on or if it take the deductions off the entire lot?

Im trying to budget and failing miserably!

riksti Mon 23-Sep-13 17:19:38

Tax and NI will be due on both OMP and SMP. What that tax is will depend on your circumstances.

Tiredemma Tue 24-Sep-13 08:48:20

thanks for your response. Im trying to work out how much I may pick up but still cant do it! its all very confusing!

Talkinpeace Wed 25-Sep-13 22:11:02

download PAYE basic tools from the HMRC website and have a play

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now