Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

debt relief order

(11 Posts)

for various reasons I was advised by citizens advice that this was the best course of action for me after a pretty horrendous year that has screwed us financially. I paid the fee this morning of 90 pound so it is processing currently. what now happens if those creditors ring in the meantime do I tell them the order is processing and make no payments, do I need to send them proof when it comes through or is that done by the company controlling the order. any help much appreciated

keli5325 Mon 23-Sep-13 17:12:46

your approved intermediary will contact the creditors shortly but if they do contact you tell them you are doing a dro and do not make any payments to them! fingers crossed it moves quickly for you smile

thanks, they were vile today seven phone calls later when she said ill be phoning you back I ended up saying go for it but I won't be paying you. shouldn't of risen to it but she was horrible to me

BellaOfTheBalls Mon 23-Sep-13 19:02:36

You can also request that they do not call you and that they put everything in writing. We are currently on a DMP which is similar to a DRO. The occasional grumpy letter is infinitely better that the 10-15 threatening phone calls we were receiving every day.

Well done for getting it sorted OP. Without wanting to sound patronising, taking that step is bloody scary.

certainly was I didn't even know things like this existed. I was at university 3 years ago and with travel each day and course fees everything else ended up with an overdraft and credit card. when my mums illness got worse I left university before the end of my first year meaning I had no way to pay the money back as was in a casual hour job with nothing left, mum got worse and passed away in November last year I wad quite poorly and we had to borrow money to meet the rent ( not helped by bedroom tax hitting for sdaughters room) so things have just snowballed and were getting out of hand but I didn't know where to turn. citizens advice were great though and have really helped I have already requested no more contact and everything in writing and was told they will keep ringing until I pay even today she was ringing to "demand immediate payment" I have tried to be polite but not working!

keli5325 Mon 23-Sep-13 19:28:07

you can ask the creditors to put the account on hold for 30days or just dont answer their calls! x

have just phoned again but was putting ds to bed so didnt answer, get the feeling they wont stop until it has actually gone through

keli5325 Mon 23-Sep-13 21:12:25

i would unplug the phone and let them do their worst! they wont have time to do anything before the dro is approved!

is my mobile number which I have to have on for school but might be an idea to switch off after until this sorted can't believe the sheer amount of calls

as of 25th the order has gone through and creditors informed but one is still ringing me up to fifteen times a day is there anything I can do

keli5325 Fri 27-Sep-13 20:46:43

refer them to the insolvency register where your details will be and tell them you will report them to the trading standards!
It can take a few wks until the information feeds through so they should stop soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now