Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Identity theft

(4 Posts)
hmc Sat 21-Sep-13 15:02:07

Oh heck should I be worried? A couple of weeks ago we received a pay day loans application form made out in the name of someone we have never heard of before but citing our address. They have never lived here - it's a new house and we moved it when it was first built and are still there. Dh contacted the company and told them we hadn't applied for pay day loan and that person did not live here.

Then today received a letter from Experian saying someone has requested our credit report and they think this was a fraudulent request not made by us so have put a CIFAS marker on our records. At the same time I received correspondence from them giving me a unique PIN to use for my 30 day trial of Experian CreditExpert membership...

I contacted them to say that we have not approached them to ask for their CreditExpert membership and they said they have already referred this to the fraud team and deactivated the account and assured me that the applicant who asked to see our credit report could not have seen any of it in the interim... I said what should I do now, they said wait for the outcome of the investigation

But what should I do next?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 21-Sep-13 15:07:12

I would tackle it from several angles. Sign up for your own Experian report and see if anyone else has been using your name or address to apply for credit. Check all your bank and credit card accounts daily - be alert to any unusual transactions. As a precaution, change any passwords you use. Good luck

hmc Sat 21-Sep-13 15:09:12

Yes good idea - will change all my passwords and go through our account statements etc with a fine tooth comb. Will apply for our credit report

hmc Sun 22-Sep-13 17:49:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now