Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anybody else walk round the supermarket with their calculator?

(14 Posts)
Nadienoo Thu 19-Sep-13 11:27:07

Working out how much they are spending or is it just me?
Sometimes I feel like a crazy person... But at the moment, with me at uni full time this year- I'm not working and money is so tight i like to know exactly what I'm spending...

Just having a brew before having to drop the DD off at school...

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 19-Sep-13 11:46:21

Not a calculator but, if you use one of those self-scan thingummies that are increasingly on offer, it gives you a running total.

crabbiepattie Thu 19-Sep-13 15:52:36

Thats actually a good idea!! Im starting uni full time next week. Been doin the spreadsheets (as u do!) want to get the food bill for the five of us down from 80 a week to aroun 50 if i can...

BringBackBod Thu 19-Sep-13 15:52:54

I used to tot it up on the shopping list as I went along. Now use scan as you shop, which does it for me.
Of course you're not crazy. If you're shopping to a budget it makes sense.

IShallCallYouSquishy Thu 19-Sep-13 15:54:09

I was walking around adding up my shopping on my phone earlier today. I'm usually sidetracked by DD so normally up to £1 out but that's good enough for me!

I just round things up where possible so I dont need to use a calculator that way I am definately doing to come under the total that I have worked out

BlueStones Sun 22-Sep-13 17:28:38

I do it in my head; it's a habit now. You're not alone!

GobbySadcase Sun 22-Sep-13 17:30:10

I have done. So I sympathise.
Now I have to online shop as kids can't cope with supermarket. In a way that's easier as I can put stuff back and juggle a bit until it comes in at budget.

But last week was a bit eek, knowing I had £100 and not a penny more to get 3 weeks' shopping.

Sarahplane Sun 22-Sep-13 17:34:19

I do it in my head usually just rounding up or down. Sometimes on the calculator on my phone. It's not just you.

Just after payday I do a big shop and don't keep a tally, but that's usually buying things like 10 tins if chopped tomatoes, 2 big packets of toilet rolls, etc. all the things I can store in the back of our utility room.

The rest of the month I usually do a tally in my head, or use the scan and shop at Tescos. Or just go in with a tenner and tally in my head to only spend that much. Like if I needed stuff for sandwiches and the cucumbers were on offer I would buy that rather than tomatoes or peppers.

meisiemee Sun 22-Sep-13 17:35:41

I used to and if I think and plan still do... But say allow £10 for meat, £10 for veg, £5 for household cleaning, £10 for other. Then do the shop in categories, that way didn't have to juggle lists and calculators etc...

caroldecker Sun 22-Sep-13 18:30:14

I think the scan and shop don't recognise BOGOF and other offers so may overcount.

shrinkingnora Sun 22-Sep-13 19:48:20

I use the calculator on my phone and I also tut and sigh and shake my head while I'm doing it...

Swizzel Mon 23-Sep-13 16:29:37

OH gets his mobile phone out when we're doing a supermarket shop and adds everything up as we go along. Before we go to the checkout, he then asks me whether we have anything in the trolley that we don't really need and takes anything out that isn't necessary. I found it really difficult to do this at first, but now I actually enjoy the 'challenge.' We also do the 'swap to a different brand' test and have found a number of items in supermarkets value brands that taste exactly the same as their more expensive counterparts.

I must confess that I was initially very resistant to the idea of trying out the value stuff (I must have been brought up to be a brand snob!) but 80% of the time I find no difference whatsoever, and I love knowing that we've saved a bit of money that can go towards other bills instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now