Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

career break and benefits

(12 Posts)
charlotte42 Wed 18-Sep-13 01:23:18

hi I've just started a years career break as the cost of childcare for four kids was atrocious. The only thing is that my partner's wage is low. Does anyone know if I can apply for any benefits? We do get some child tax credits.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Wed 18-Sep-13 02:06:57

You would probably have a JSA claim disallowed if you left your last job voluntarily. However they would keep up your National Insurance credits. (Although Child Benefit also does this)
Your only other options have various conditions eg are you sick/disabled/caring for someone.

Rockchick1984 Wed 18-Sep-13 09:02:50

You couldn't claim JSA as you wouldn't be seeking work! You may be eligible for additional help via tax credits, you need to call them and update with new info and they will send you a new award.

Babyroobs Wed 18-Sep-13 11:15:17

You need to update tax credits but you may not get any increased payments this tax year , it depends on your household income and the amount you have already earnt this year.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 18-Sep-13 11:36:34

I'd recommend you run your details through the benefits checker at www.turn2us.org.uk . It'll give you a good idea of all the various benefits potentially available to you.

charlotte42 Wed 18-Sep-13 12:51:52

ok thanks for all that. One thing i do know for sure is that we will be skint, but better being at home with the kids and skint, than out working and still being broke because of childcare costs!

Babyroobs Thu 19-Sep-13 19:09:30

We have 4 kids close together in age and the only way I have been able to continue working for the past 13 years has been to work weekends / evenings/ nights ! Not ideal for family life but at least it has meant very little in the way of childcare costs.

charlotte42 Fri 20-Sep-13 22:58:24

Thanks Babyroobs - I'm a teacher so my hours of working are tied. I've just given up to be honest, I can't juggle four kids and a full time job. It became a nightmare when they got sick for example!

commonsenseplease Tue 24-Sep-13 18:36:06

Stupid question, but if you're a teacher and your partner's on a low wage, wouldn't it have made more financial sense for you to stay in work and him stay home?

YoureBeingADick Tue 24-Sep-13 18:42:16

what ages are the dcs? could you have dropped to 4 days each to save on the childcare? could you do evening and weekend work? have you taken a career break and will be returning to your actual post after 12 months or have you left the job completely?

doggles Tue 24-Sep-13 19:06:47

Not sure if this helps but we are in a similar situation in that I am teacher and my partner earns a low wage as he has his own business.. I work part time and he fits his hours aroind mine so does drop offs and pick ups atschool etc.. so we share the childcare, this works for us, although we are skint! Good luck whatever you decide x

Pammie70 Wed 25-Sep-13 09:40:32

I work and my hubbie is unemployed. Depending on your DH income you may be able to get council tax benefit and make sure you apply for an exemption certificate for prescriptions, eye tests etc. Every little helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now