Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much electricity do appliances use?

(5 Posts)
HopLittleFroggyHopHopHop Fri 13-Sep-13 12:31:43

I'm just trying to get a vague idea, I know it costs roughly 23p per kWh but can't seem to find anywhere with estimates of energy use for specific appliances on Google.
How many kWh would the following use (just a rough estimation)

-oven at 180 degrees for 30 mins
-fridgefreezer for 24 hours
-tv (small large backed old version) and DVD player for an hour
-laptop for an hour
-lightbulb for an hour
-phone charger for an hour
-radio for an hour

Vickibee Fri 13-Sep-13 13:22:40

you need to look at the power reating on the appliance. Eg a IKw appliance will use one KW in an hour so it will take a 100 watt light bulb 10 hours to use the same. Generally heating appliances like immersions and kettles use the most, stuff like radios use very little. A 3 KW immersion will take 20 mins to use one KWhour

Hope this helps

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 13-Sep-13 13:39:13

Only check out your halogen lights if you are prepared to be terrifiedshock.

specialsubject Fri 13-Sep-13 13:49:43

depends on the appliance. Look at the label on the back, or in the instruction manual.

power used equals volts x amps. The figure for volts is 240. The figure for amps is on the appliance. The answer will come out in watts, divide by 1000 for your kilowatts. Use a kilowatt for one hour and it costs you your 23p. (pricey tariff BTW).

fasterthanthewind Fri 13-Sep-13 14:04:57

broadly speaking, things that make heat cost lots:
oven
heater
lightbulbs (oldfashioned or halogen)
hoover

I worked out many years ago that a 100W bulb left on continuously for a year would cost a little short of £100. Would be more now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now