Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

income support and compensation money

(8 Posts)
ilovesprouts Tue 10-Sep-13 18:28:53

I was in a bad accident in feb ,spent 9 weeks in hosp im likely to be getting a big pay out ,how much money can u have in the bank before income support stops !!

SarahFx Tue 10-Sep-13 18:36:13

Capital of 6k plus will affect Income Support but I have a feeling compensation payments must be declared to the department how ever much they are. Google CRU, they may be able to recover some of your benefits from the payment.

You're better off asking CAB though. Bear in mind that DWP do random bank account checks now so I wouldn't not declare it.

ilovesprouts Tue 10-Sep-13 18:42:26

cheers will deffo be getting more than 6k so check with thw dwp .

gamerchick Tue 10-Sep-13 18:46:02

And bear in mind it has to be stretched out before you can claim again. The ex got 20 grand inheritance.. spent it, tried to sign back on and they won't let him without a receipt for everything he spent it on. That was 2 years ago and he still isn't allowed.

RevoltedMum Tue 10-Sep-13 18:49:04

If it is over £16k your benefits will be deducted until you get to £6k.

Chubfuddler Tue 10-Sep-13 18:49:09

Talk to your solicitor about a personal injury trust. Will cost about 500 quid to set up but ring fences your compensation from being counted as capital in calculating benefits entitlement.

Alternatively if you spend it within 52 weeks of receipt (or enough to take you under 6k threshold) your benefits won't be affected.

Your solicitor ought to have advised you on this.

Chubfuddler Tue 10-Sep-13 18:50:01

Inheritance is different to compensation. There are specific rules for compensation.

gamerchick Tue 10-Sep-13 18:53:23

Good to know.. cheers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now