Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing benefit!!

(3 Posts)
Gretie24 Tue 10-Sep-13 12:28:41

Hello. I've recently recieved a letter from the housing benefit department saying that they are reviewing out benefit claim and want 2 month worth of my partners payslips, and 2 months worth of all bank statements. The problem is as I was gathering all this information I realised that my partner has been working on a Saturday morning occasionally as overtime, I didn't even think about this before and now am worried I will get into trouble for not telling them. I know it will result in having to pay back an overpayment, hopefully over time as I don't have any savings. Will they take it any further or just realise it was an unintentional accident? Also when I send in the payslips shall I just let them realise the mistake or shall I include a letter saying that I've only just realised? I'm sooo worried about all this, someone please help.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 10-Sep-13 12:43:06

If you're handing over documented evidence that you've held something back you'd be best advised to come clean, apologise and ask their advice on how to rectify matters - if anything is affected, of course. If you can take it all along to them in person then I think you'll be treated better than posting it off with a covering letter or hoping they won't spot the mistake. Try not to worry and good luck

lougle Tue 10-Sep-13 14:05:51

If it is 'occasionally' it shouldn't matter. You'll have an overpayment which they'll deduct from your benefit payments. I took on a temporary job one Christmas then informed the benefits office once it was finished - it was so unpredictable that they couldn't have worked out what to deduct prior to getting the wage slips. Once it was all finished, they looked that the wage slips and worked out a deduction plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now