Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Recently am getting small bank charges but I don't know what for?

(15 Posts)

I'm with TSB, formerly Lloyds TSB.

Within the last month I've noticed some charges coming up on my current acc. First were 0.11 and 1.00. Then today I noticed 0.9 and 1.00. Small amounts but I didn't know what for?

So I just rang TSB and got cut off. They haven't rung back and I'm sick of incurring phone charges with them so am leaving it for now.

I've heard of hackers taking small amounts first to see if they can get into an account so hope it isn't this?

I wish the bank had an online service for questions instead of having to ring all the time.

Am seriously thinking of changing banks but not sure which one to go to?

MrsSpencerReid Tue 10-Sep-13 08:55:09

Have you got save the change set up? We have and these are to sort of amounts it takes out and puts into our savings account. Hope that's the answer rather than anything more sinister smile

Mum2Fergus Tue 10-Sep-13 09:08:42

What is the transaction description next to the amounts?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 10-Sep-13 09:39:59

If you object to telephones, why not go into your branch and query these small deductions in person? You're right, sometimes fraudsters will 'test' an account by withdrawing odd amounts to begin with. Some legitimate (online) companies do the same thing however. As asked earlier, what description appears next to the deduction?

specialsubject Tue 10-Sep-13 10:09:58

TSB and Lloyds are both in chaos as unsurprisingly the changeover was anything but seamless. Give it a couple of days if you can before phoning, but get to a branch if you can.

saynoto0870 will give you numbers that will be free on landlines.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 10-Sep-13 10:13:38

As fergus said, what's the description?
If you can give us that I'm sure I (and many others of course) can probably give you a good idea of what they are.

Hi thanks for the replies.

I'm working bank hours so it's not so easy to go there in person.

This is what they look like. NON-STG PURCH FEE CD 7118 and NON-STG TRANS FEE 2.99% CD 7118. Then the amounts.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 10-Sep-13 11:21:15

Ok, the 7118 will be the last 4 digits of your card.

They are foreign usage fees. So either using your card abroad or buying something in another currency.

Yes just looked that up. Neither apply to me though.

Ooops yes they do. DS1 bought some games on Steam blush

<gets coat>

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 10-Sep-13 11:27:57

All's well that ends well grin

I know grin I just realised the charges are in $.

Charges for games I mean.

specialsubject Tue 10-Sep-13 13:02:06

excellent, all explained.

placemat2000 Mon 31-Mar-14 18:53:03

I was also concerned about this, but I had just returned from Barcelona and the NON-STG PURCH FEE CD DEB1.50 was from the plane with Ryanair. Probably a brew or something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now