Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Benefit

(6 Posts)
germainebeer Thu 05-Sep-13 20:14:23

I'm sure this has been done to death on here, but I just wondered if somebody could tell me how the changes to Child Benefit work? I thought I was still entitled to it, but we have received a letter this week suggesting the opposite...

riksti Thu 05-Sep-13 20:18:44

If you or your partner earn more than £50,000 after pension contributions then child benefit will be withdrawn (1% of CB is to be paid back for every £100 the higher earner's salary exceeds £50,000). In 2012/13 tax year the withdrawal would be minimal as only CB received between 7 Jan and 5 Apr is taken into account for this calculation.

We got the letter too, as far as I can tell they've sent it to all higher rate taxpayers, even those far below the 50k threshold.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 06-Sep-13 13:09:52

You can claim child benefit and then fill in tax return a repay it. I am doing this as my income fluctuates widely. This year my declared income for tax will be below £50,000 so will get to keep it all. Last year I would have lost it.

germainebeer Fri 06-Sep-13 15:35:58

Thanks everyone. Does it take into account any other deductions after pension, such as childcare vouchers?

riksti Fri 06-Sep-13 17:05:33

Childcare vouchers are already deducted from your salary (the tax-free portion anyway) so the amount on your P60 is net of childcare vouchers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now