Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Stupid Child Benefit Question!

(8 Posts)
DorisShutt Tue 03-Sep-13 16:43:37

Got a letter in from child benefit about it being removed from those with incomes of £50k.

Can someone clarify if it is a joint income of over £50k or individual income of over £50k?

So if a couple have an income of £60k by earning £30k each would they have to repay? Or if it was split £54k and £6k?

We don't earn £50k seperately, but might be borderline if it's jointly IYSWIM?

aliciagardner Tue 03-Sep-13 16:45:25

Individual income.

DorisShutt Tue 03-Sep-13 16:46:28

Oh thanks! thanks

I can file the letter in the appropriate shredding pile hanging file.

It's really not clear on the letter hmm

hallamoo Tue 03-Sep-13 16:50:49

And therein lies the unfairness. Couples earning up to 99k jointly, (as long as one of them isn't over 50k), will keep every penny, whereas families where one parent earns over 50k, even if the other parent earns nothing, will start to lose it (tapered up to £60 income I believe).

I know it's been done to death on here, but that doesn't make it any less unfair "and I'm not bitter"

AnythingNotEverything Tue 03-Sep-13 16:54:40

We lose out on child benefit too. Makes me really cross as we're borderline and I'm about to go on maternity leave. Seems so unfair hmm

donteatthat Tue 03-Sep-13 16:55:46

It's separately which is what all the fuss was about when it was announced

NoBrainer Tue 03-Sep-13 23:28:15

Very unfair!

bellabom Thu 05-Sep-13 09:22:58

Just spotted this - have just started a thread on Chat... can anyone help with it please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now