Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI - but no evidence... any hints or advice?

(7 Posts)
happynappies Tue 03-Sep-13 14:19:09

Back in the late 90s I took out a couple of loans, I think the first definitely had PPI sold with it, and the second one was a consolidation of the first one, and I'm not sure whether I took out PPI or not. I'm fairly certain I was 'pressured' into taking the policy, given my fairly dodgy financial situation at the time, but now I'm in the process of trying to make a claim. I've looked on Martin's Moneysaving Expert, and can see there are a load of templates and very in-depth threads, but I'm a bit lost.

At the moment I have asked HSBC to look into the details of my loan and they haven't got back to me yet. I also asked Lloyds TSB and they sent a questionnaire this morning which has to be sent back within 14 days. I rang them up and said I don't have all the details they need (acct. no etc) and they have asked me to pay £10 to provide whatever details they have on file, so I'm in the process of doing that - even though I'm not actually sure which of the loans had PPI - possibly both did. I know it is outside of the period for which banks are required to keep details, so I am a bit sceptical about what they will send me. I was under the impression that it had got a lot easier to make claims but thus far I'm not exactly finding it plain sailing. Anyone else have any experience, particularly with loans and products from 10+ years ago, and little or no paperwork?

TheCricketWidow Tue 03-Sep-13 14:35:17

I've just got ppi back from a Lloyds loan I took out in 2008, I hadn't got round to looking into it myself because I knew I didn't have any paperwork. They sent me a letter telling me that I may have been mis sold and enclosed a questionnaire for me to return. They didnt contact me again at all until I got a letter telling me that they would be putting the money into my bank account. I'm glad they wrote to me as I know I would never have got round to it! Make sure you explain clearly the reasons that you think you were mis sold and also detail any other means you had at that time of making payments on the loan if you were to be out of work, for example, I already had unemployment cover insurance that would have covered the loan payment but I wasn't asked when I took the loan out. I didnt have any paperwork so I guess they checked it out from their end.
I found it a straightforward process, good luck with it.

Rockchick1984 Tue 03-Sep-13 23:25:56

It'll be the time scales that are your issue, unless they were 10 year term loans its very unlikely the bank will still have any records. No harm in asking though, all you will lose is £10.

LadyKooKoo Wed 04-Sep-13 08:28:53

Don't even send the £10, fill in the ppi claim form and put 'all accounts' in the box which asks for the account number. Just make sure to mention any previous addresses or names you have been known as. They really don't need much info.

I recently got a refund from Canada Square (previously Egg) for a loan I had in the early 00s. They wrote to me to say I was entitled to it even though I have moved three times and got married, they had my correct name and address. Banks still have info, they just don't want you to know that!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Thu 05-Sep-13 14:26:06

The sale of PPI wasn't regulated until 2005, I don't think. I don't know if that limits your claim at all?

happynappies Fri 06-Sep-13 12:07:44

I posted the £10 off anyway, just to see if they can find any details... probably won't be able to pursue the claim because of the timescales, as people have said. I thought it was supposed to be easier to make a claim, but doesn't seem to be the case!

SoWorriedPleaseHelp Wed 11-Sep-13 06:28:57

I got ours back using a "no win no fee" type company. Didn't expect to get anything and have just received a large refund on a loan taken out by my Dh before he even met me. Ye doesn't even remember the loan let alone have any paper work for it.

If you do win the company do take a large fee but I would never of got the payment without them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now