Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt Companies Phoning Dad's Address!

(4 Posts)
needaholidaynow Fri 30-Aug-13 17:01:02

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this please? I'm in debt with several companies. One of them has been sending letters to my address, and I have responded to them and given them my mobile number.

My dad has just rang me now and said a message has been left for me at his from this company in question. But how on earth did they get his number to contact me on?

And just to make it worse, I have other debts that I have been sweeping under the carpet, and I'm now worried that they too will start to ring my Dad's number?

Where do debt companies find phone numbers to contact people on? Is there like a database out there or something? I just really don't want any of my family knowing that I am in debt, especially my dad. And will my Dad's credit be affected?

Any advice/ facts about how it all works will be much appreciated!

Talkinpeace Fri 30-Aug-13 18:32:58

1) Stop sweeping it under the carpet.
2) Work out how much you owe IN TOTAL and work out what you will do about it.
3) Tell your dad, so that he does not get bounced into paying your bills

They have lots and lots of ways to work out who you are related to and where you have ever lived.
The genie is out of the bottle. It cannot be put back.

Tuon Sat 31-Aug-13 07:14:18

Debt companies use trace systems. Somewhere along the line that number has been linked to you, it turns up in the trace and they will use it. Sometimes it goes back a few years and is out of date, did you used to live at your father's address?

When you speak to a debt collector go through the numbers you are happy for them to have. If you don't answer on the agreed numbers, they will try other numbers for you, they get those numbers from the trace. If you give contact details and deal when needed they won't then start trying other numbers.

This will not affect your Dad's credit.

"I have other debts that I have been sweeping under the carpet, and I'm now worried that they too will start to ring my Dad's number? "

Possibly, if the number is linked to you in some way it may happen. Don't brush any under the carpet. Ring them all, even if it's just a case of "I can offer you £1 a month until X is cleared, then you become the priority."

If you're struggling CAB and Stepchange are great places for practical advice.

Tuon Sat 31-Aug-13 07:17:40

3) Tell your dad, so that he does not get bounced into paying your bills

You don't have to tell your Dad. The caller won't give any more info than "I'm from company name, here is my number, could Needaholiday call us please". Unless your Dad put's on a female voice and goes through the security questions they will not tell him why they are calling, that would be a huge breach of data protection.

If you Dad decides to google the company name, that is a different matter though.

They can't ask your Dad to pay, he is not the debtor, they can't even tell him why they called as that would be a massive compliance issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now