Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone with experience of working with an independent financial advisor? Any recommendations in the Portsmouth area?

(1 Post)
notnowImreading Fri 30-Aug-13 08:12:45

I think now would be a good time for me to see a financial advisor. I'm currently separating from my husband and we are selling our house. I'm living with my parents with a view to buying a house of my own once the sale our our marital home is done and dusted with the money in the bank.

I'm fairly financially sound, with a good salary, no debt and a workplace pension in place, but I have just spend my savings on a big escape-the-break-up holiday and I want to make sure that I set myself up for the best life I can afford for the future. It's the first time I will have money in my hands to make decisions about and I want to make the right choices.

Are financial advisors sympathetic and imaginative and helpful? I want someone who can look at what I have and make suggestions about the best way to make the most of it. I don't mean just choosing a mortgage but looking at the way I'm going to live as a singleton and making it good rather than sad.

Any advice on how to choose one, what to ask or personal recommendations of one within a half hour drive of Portsmouth would be gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now