Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Er..... What is going to happen?

(6 Posts)
Talkinpeace Wed 28-Aug-13 17:18:55

Talk to them.
Every day.
Tell them how you are doing and what you are trying.
Keep them informed.
After a while they will agree to call you once a fortnight.
They will not start repossession until you are at least six months in arrears - and in a falling market, maybe not even then.

Lethologica Wed 28-Aug-13 16:32:07

There is loads of good advice on Moey Saving Expert (Just In case you haven't heard of it)

MissAntithetic Wed 28-Aug-13 16:18:07

That makes me feel a bit better.

It all started going to shit when I went on mat leave and dp's business started doing badly. I've managed more by good luck up to now but him not getting paid has just finished us off.

It's just a nightmare right now but I keep telling myself its going to get better which it will but its just in the mean time.

I've sold all I can sell. We are tied into our other financial commitments so the bills have lowered as much as they can. I'm cooking frugally, only using the car for work. I can't cut back any further. Just have to pray his interviews come off.

Thanks for the advice ill phone them first thing tomorrow.

LazyMonkeyButler Wed 28-Aug-13 16:13:13

They should be OK if you tell them the truth upfront. So long as you speak to them & explain the problems they will more than likely agree a payment arrangement with you. There may be charges though, and the missed payments may go against you if you are thinking of applying for any further credit in the near future (not trying to upset you, just telling you the truth), as they will usually be registered with Equifax, Experian etc.

LIZS is right, they will not start repossession proceedings because of 1 or probably even 2 missed payments. If you were to ignore them & not be upfront & honest they may start sending letters threatening possible action, but - from what I remember - lenders tend to wait for between 3 & 6 (depending on lender) missed months before taking formal action.

LIZS Wed 28-Aug-13 16:07:25

They won't start proceedings on the back of one missed payment but I think you need to be upfront about needing a payment break. You may get charged for the overdue amount.

MissAntithetic Wed 28-Aug-13 16:03:24

Right. I missed Augusts mortgage payment. Basically dp wasn't paid. By the time we realised it wasn't going to be in the bank on time our other bills had come out leaving not enough left for the mortgage.

No problem I thought. I'd pay it late. Take the charge. Except he still hasn't been paid.

He is looking for different work (had several interviews that we are waiting on) and I have started a second job but won't start getting paid for this until end of September.

So basically we are going to be missing another month.

They have tried to phone me but I was driving so I'm going to phone them back but what shall I say?

Will they start repossession?

I definitely can't pay anything now til October. Then I could pay one extra payment for both October and November to get us back right.

Will they be ok with that?

I feel sick hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now