Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

would you let this debt go

(9 Posts)
lakia Sun 25-Aug-13 09:45:31

I have got myself into financial difficulty and have put my debts onto a debt managment programme.
One of the debts is not mine but it belongs to my sister and I regret having it put on there.

The agreement was that my sisiter will pay a sum every month and I will use this towards my plan it would get her debt paid off sooner with the interest being froze anyway.

The problem is that my sister never comes forward with the money and I am continually having to ask for it.
It is really getting to me and I dont like to keep asking as I know she gets very short on money.
This month I havent asked and she hasnt offered however I see her do the odd thing like have her hair done etc and think where is your payment not sure if she forgets or is just brushing it off.
How should I approach this when I do get something off here its av erry small amount that she conjures up.
I also know that shortly she is coming inot a bit of money as well.

lakia Sun 25-Aug-13 09:47:51

sorry about the spelling mistakes have typed in a rush.
When I do get something off her its usually a very small amount that she can hardly afford.
Please if this was your sisiter what would you be doing.

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 25-Aug-13 09:50:11

Ask her to set up a standing order for the money to go direct from her account to yours the day after pay day.

Mum2Fergus Sun 25-Aug-13 09:52:36

I'd go back to the debt management company and have them make an arrangement to collect money from her directly.

lakia Sun 25-Aug-13 09:53:28

I did think of that I just feel as though I am putting her under pressure they are not working she and her husband are on benefits.

lakia Sun 25-Aug-13 09:57:51

she is coming into some money shortly an extremely rare event for her and she cant wait but I feel like asking her to pay the debt off.
Its not a massive debt its around £800

ivykaty44 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:18:08

tell your sister straight

I see you getting your hair done but then I have to chase you for money to pay your debt which I have kindly put on my debts so you got the interest frozen - make sure I am not chasing you for the money in future and you pay up on time - otherwise I will ask you for the money weekly to make my life easier.

It is not your concern she isn't working it is not your concern that her husband isn't working - you have done the good deed it is her concern to pay her debt

If she trys to comment - say I just want the money paid and on time thanks and end the conversation.

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 25-Aug-13 12:26:22

How can you put someone else's debt onto a management plan for yourself? I don't know a lot about these things but surely her debt is her problem. Also, is it not fraud?

Viviennemary Sun 25-Aug-13 14:19:59

You shouldn't have to be using debt management to pay off a debt which is your sister's if it is in her name that is. She should be managing her own debts. If you can afford it then yes let her pay you back when she can. If you are having money troubles of your own then you must be firm and let her sort out her problems and you sort out yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now