Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Section 75 claim refused by credit card company - can they do this? Help!

(3 Posts)
AliBingo Thu 22-Aug-13 10:55:54

Hello

I had some work done last year and paid by cheque.

Then in April this year the same company quoted for a bit of extra work and took a £400 deposit over the phone for materials.

Unfortunately they never came to do the work and didn't answer the phone, eventually I sent a recorded letter and it was returned as they had "gone away".

I immediately filled out a claim form with Tesco bank but have just learned this morning that they have turned it down because I was unable to supply an invoice. I did supply headed notepaper from the company from last year's work to show we had dealt with them before. That's all I had.

Are they allowed to do this? Surely I had a phone contract with the company, and if they failed to send me an invoice that is outside my control.

Does anyone know what my rights are? I am worried as I need my £400 back.

Thanks
Ali

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Thu 22-Aug-13 11:09:58

We had a claim refused under s75 when we made it over a dreadful made-to-measure suit. We challenged it, I threatened the ombudsman and the credit card company paid out.

I think they refuse these things as a matter of course and if you fight it - and threaten ombudsman action (it costs the CC company money if you open a case with the ombudsman) they find out that actually you are due the money.

AliBingo Thu 22-Aug-13 11:25:45

Thanks for the reply.

I just phoned the ombudsman to ask what my next steps are and they have set it up as a complaint. I hope the bank pays out, it does feel like they are refusing unfairly but hoping I go away!

Annoyed as I have had the card for years and years (10+) and spend a fortune on it.

Glad you got yours back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now