Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Claiming PPI - help needed!

(11 Posts)
Windowbasket Tue 20-Aug-13 21:10:19

I am wading through a large pile of paperwork (Egg) and filing in my consumer questionnaire. It was all going well until ... I realised I don't have a policy number for the PPI I am complaining about! I have about a foot's worth of statements that have been sent to me - all show credit card repayment protector insurance each month. I also have a copy of my original application. Nowhere on there is a policy number mentioned. Although on a summary form for my account the CRP/PPI box is ticked with a 'Y'. One of my statements shows the credit card repayment protector - and separately lists 'Card Protection' - I think this might have been CRP. But what to do about the policy number for the other .... has anyone else had this problem? Am worried I am misunderstanding something here - completely bogged down with the paperwork!!

LadyKooKoo Wed 21-Aug-13 09:17:18

Don't worry about it, just put on the details you do have and send it off. I didn't put it on mine and still had a response in less than a fortnight.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Wed 21-Aug-13 09:28:42

You can still claim without it. We have had around 8k back over two years and we never quoted policy numbers. We sent them addresses, approx length and dates of account and a copy of any statement or letter we could find.

Good luck!

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 21-Aug-13 09:47:19

Just put the account number in and enclose copies of a statement or the summary form.

That's plenty enough info for them don't worry.

funnymummy2931 Wed 21-Aug-13 09:54:58

What company are you all using to claim back? Thanks

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 21-Aug-13 10:27:51

Don't use a claims company. Just print off the questionnaire from
>>The Financial Ombudsman Service<<

You don't need anything else and it's completely straightforward.

I have just filled out that form this morning even though I hardly know any details if the account numbers etc. Wasn't going to bother with any ppi claims as I didn't think it would be worth the hassle. The bank kept sending Dh letters asking him to do it, he only filled it in to shut them up. On Monday he had a letter offering nearly 3 1/2 grand!!!! shock very welcome at the moment!

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 21-Aug-13 10:47:26

If you get a letter from your bank inviting you to claim then always always do it! It's part of the ruling that banks have to conduct their own investigations and if they see a case of even potential miss-selling they have to invite the customer to claim.

Don't worry about knowing specific account numbers, just make sure you write 'all accounts' in the box instead, just in case you have accounts you've forgotten about.

Windowbasket Wed 21-Aug-13 15:24:28

Thanks, everyone - phew, that's a relief! Funnymummy I'm just doing it myself, no claims company involved. I had requested details of my account from Egg and received a bumper bundle - including evidence of ppi - but no policy number!!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Wed 21-Aug-13 16:49:28

funnymummy- don't use a company . They take 25% and you can do it with just one letter yourself.

Randall- we never received any letters from our banks inviting us to claim, just wrote a letter and got the money back. We had to nag a bit though as they were a bit slow.

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 21-Aug-13 17:36:37

No, you don't need a letter inviting you to claim, of course not, that's why I posted the link to the FOS website.

It was just advice for anyone who does get one. They aren't being sent out on the off chance. It means the bank have done their own investigation already and have uncovered a reason to believe you may have been miss-sold so you're almost definite to have it upheld.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now