Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you think it's cheap

(7 Posts)
MississippiBanana Tue 20-Aug-13 17:31:07

Does anyone else shop in several different supermarkets for quality/cost purposes? Or do people think that it is worth spending the money for less hassle?

I walk everywhere so I have no travel costs, which means I prefer to do little shops here and there so I don't have to lug everything home.

For example, I think Sainsbury's bakery is the best out there quality-wise, and not unreasonably priced, yet I find doing my whole shop there can be expensive, so I mostly buy baked goods from there. And I find Aldi's meat and cheese to be of the same quality as other supermarkets but cheaper, so I buy it from there.

Just wondered what other people's opinions were?

MonstersDontCry Tue 20-Aug-13 17:52:05

We live in the middle of nowhere so it's a 35 minute drive to the nearest supermarket which is morrisons. Asda is a 40 minute drive and I find it's cheaper there so we drive there instead. Not sure what I'd do if we had a bigger choice of supermarkets.

ivykaty44 Tue 20-Aug-13 18:43:54

I am lucky and have a roundabout near me with - Aldi, Morrisons, sainsbury and Lidl. I can go to all of them within less than an 8th of a mile.

I also have tesco near to my home - walking distance.

I have a good idea of the products I like and are cheaper at telco - a lot of there world foods are better and a better price than sainsbury - lidl don't sell them and neither do aldi. I go one week to tesco and stock up for about three to four weeks

So I go to lidl for fruit and veg as it is good quality and cheaper than the others. So lidl will be a weekly to two weekly visit.

Sainsbury for other bits so again I will stock up for three to four weeks

So over a month I will go once to sainsbury once to tesco and twice to lidl

I do about 2/3 of my shopping at Lidls, buy red meat at my local butcher, and the remainder at Sainsbury's that Lidl don't stock e.g. Lactofree products and certain branded goods, baking products etc.

I used to do all my shopping at Sainsbury's but switched when money was really tight, suited us better so I've kept to it.

Mandy21 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:43:31

I go to quite a few different shops now, Aldi, B&M Bargains, Sainsburys and then the local market / bakers / butchers. For me, they are quite spaced out but its worth it in terms of the savings I make.

beepoff Wed 21-Aug-13 07:19:31

Fruit & veg from local green grocer and ASDA

Jam, snacks, sauces from B&M Bargains

Toiletries from Superdrug & pound shop

Nappies & wine from Aldi - and Parmesan when I remember

Everything else from one of the big supermarkets.

beepoff Wed 21-Aug-13 07:21:17

Forgot to say, I either stock up or the shops are within walking distance. At the moment I'm on mat leave so this isn't a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now