Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you think it's cheap

(7 Posts)
MississippiBanana Tue 20-Aug-13 17:31:07

Does anyone else shop in several different supermarkets for quality/cost purposes? Or do people think that it is worth spending the money for less hassle?

I walk everywhere so I have no travel costs, which means I prefer to do little shops here and there so I don't have to lug everything home.

For example, I think Sainsbury's bakery is the best out there quality-wise, and not unreasonably priced, yet I find doing my whole shop there can be expensive, so I mostly buy baked goods from there. And I find Aldi's meat and cheese to be of the same quality as other supermarkets but cheaper, so I buy it from there.

Just wondered what other people's opinions were?

MonstersDontCry Tue 20-Aug-13 17:52:05

We live in the middle of nowhere so it's a 35 minute drive to the nearest supermarket which is morrisons. Asda is a 40 minute drive and I find it's cheaper there so we drive there instead. Not sure what I'd do if we had a bigger choice of supermarkets.

ivykaty44 Tue 20-Aug-13 18:43:54

I am lucky and have a roundabout near me with - Aldi, Morrisons, sainsbury and Lidl. I can go to all of them within less than an 8th of a mile.

I also have tesco near to my home - walking distance.

I have a good idea of the products I like and are cheaper at telco - a lot of there world foods are better and a better price than sainsbury - lidl don't sell them and neither do aldi. I go one week to tesco and stock up for about three to four weeks

So I go to lidl for fruit and veg as it is good quality and cheaper than the others. So lidl will be a weekly to two weekly visit.

Sainsbury for other bits so again I will stock up for three to four weeks

So over a month I will go once to sainsbury once to tesco and twice to lidl

I do about 2/3 of my shopping at Lidls, buy red meat at my local butcher, and the remainder at Sainsbury's that Lidl don't stock e.g. Lactofree products and certain branded goods, baking products etc.

I used to do all my shopping at Sainsbury's but switched when money was really tight, suited us better so I've kept to it.

Mandy21 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:43:31

I go to quite a few different shops now, Aldi, B&M Bargains, Sainsburys and then the local market / bakers / butchers. For me, they are quite spaced out but its worth it in terms of the savings I make.

beepoff Wed 21-Aug-13 07:19:31

Fruit & veg from local green grocer and ASDA

Jam, snacks, sauces from B&M Bargains

Toiletries from Superdrug & pound shop

Nappies & wine from Aldi - and Parmesan when I remember

Everything else from one of the big supermarkets.

beepoff Wed 21-Aug-13 07:21:17

Forgot to say, I either stock up or the shops are within walking distance. At the moment I'm on mat leave so this isn't a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now