Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how long should it take to get tax credits?

(3 Posts)
Monkeyandanimal Tue 20-Aug-13 11:30:34

Hiya, I applied for tax credits at the begining of June, along with registering my kids for child benefit (we moved here from ireland, i am british, dh irish, we were self employed in ireland for 5 years, business not viable so moved back here when DS offered a job here, only 22grand a year, 2 kids born ireland, i'm a SAHM). I was sent an additional form to fill in about the children and our employment in ireland and since then have heard nothing from either tax cred or child benefit people. We are stony broke and i'm borrowing money from the parents in order to buy food and pay bills (DH new job covers rent and some bills, no more). How long is is going to take before somebody comes back to us with some info? or money?!! i'm worried they are going to tell us we don't qualify for tax credits or CB because we moved from ireland. in which case we won't be able to afford our rent and will have to move....baby due end november and worried....

Rockchick1984 Tue 20-Aug-13 15:34:11

You should be eligible for some help based on what you have put here, how long ago did you send back the additional information? If it was more than a month ago I'd call and chase them, unfortunately this is their busiest time due to renewals so I'd expect to wait a bit longer than usual. No harm ringing to see how its progressing though!

Monkeyandanimal Tue 20-Aug-13 16:16:16

Thanks Rockchick, i'll ring again.....at the moment they don't seem to be taking my calls! i prefer it when they tell me they can't take the call straight away rather than wading through menus and recordings only to be told that they are too busy to deal with this issue right now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now