Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

help please

(7 Posts)
brightonbythesea Mon 19-Aug-13 19:06:01

Hi all. I have been with my dp for several years, we own a home together and we have a 9mo DD. We are not married, and as we are renovating a house and lots of other expensive things we are not getting married at the moment. Our relationship is great, but I am worried that should anything happen to him or if we did break up for any reason then me and DD would be financially stuffed..! What legal or financial documents do we need to get in place to make sure she would be okay and I could provide for her? We both have professional jobs but I do not have any savings of my own. Thanks smile

Portofino Mon 19-Aug-13 19:20:50

I would get married to be honest.

Portofino Mon 19-Aug-13 19:22:18

There aren't any other documents - aside from life insurance and making sure you jointly own your house.

brightonbythesea Mon 19-Aug-13 19:22:34

why?

brightonbythesea Mon 19-Aug-13 19:23:45

x-post. thanks, just been told before that I am not secure without marriage and I shoukd rush off to a solicitor but not sure what for...

Optimist1 Mon 19-Aug-13 19:26:54

Seeing a solicitor to make wills and to declare each other legally next of kin would be a sensible step if you're not about to get married.

LadyKooKoo Mon 19-Aug-13 21:48:02

Why do you need lots of money to get married? If you love each other and are committed then you could get married for a few hundred. Life is a lot easier and a lot more secure if you are married, not just financially either. I was really ill a few years ago and if DH had been 'DP' then he wouldn't have been privy to half of what was going on with me. Get married, make a will and sort out some life insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now