Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I get through to a person (as opposed to a recorded message) about tax credits?

(7 Posts)
francesrivis Mon 19-Aug-13 18:34:08

Hi, don't know if anyone can help - I've just spent 45 minutes trying and failing to speak to a human being on the HMRC tax credits helpline. Whichever option I pick it seems to either lead to a dead end, to a message saying they can't take the call at the moment or (bizarrely) a message telling me to ring the number I originally rang .... Does anyone know what buttons you have to press to actually speak to someone? This is not good for my blood pressure ...

TIA

bubblesausage Mon 19-Aug-13 18:36:16

I don't have an answer I'm afraid, but hoping someone does, I've been trying to speak to someone for a couple of weeks to inform of a change in circumstance, and keep getting the same as you!

AnitaManeater Mon 19-Aug-13 18:38:23

Sounds like the contact centre is flooded with calls. Go to an HMRC enquiry centre tomorrow as they have bypass lines which you can go straight through on

francesrivis Mon 19-Aug-13 18:41:38

Thanks, what is an HMRC enquiry centre?

MissMarplesBloomers Mon 19-Aug-13 18:44:55

Just keep trying OP-very busy just now with loads of queries following the claims going in.

I found if I got through & kept pressing 000000 ultimately it would defer to a Real Person.

If it didn't cut you off that is! grin

AnitaManeater Mon 19-Aug-13 18:49:20

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/enq/ That should show your nearest one. they don't advertise them. All of them have speed dials which you can use to dodge the queues on the phones. Make sure you check the opening days / times as they aren't all mon-fri 9-5

francesrivis Mon 19-Aug-13 18:52:46

Thanks, will try this on Friday if haven't got through before then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now