Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Direct debit not been taken. Any advice?

(5 Posts)

Can anyone help, I can't find anything about this on tinternet.

I rent some land and paid for the first 6 months by cheque (cashed). With the cheque I sent a dd form for a monthly payment to be set up after the 6 months was up.

Received a letter today saying our account is in arrears by a whole years worth if payments. As the cheque was cashed this is not possible, so I then check the dd to find the first payment came out this month when it should have started in march.

So I guess my question is, will I be responsible for the period they didn't take the dd? I understand we have used the land and not paid for it, but wondered if as this was their fault I have a leg to stand on with refusing this bill? We cannot afford to pay the lump sum so would have to see if they would accept a monthly plan anyhow.

Sorry if this is too long and a bit confusing. I wish I'd checked my statements sooner!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 16-Aug-13 22:00:07

Yes you are responsible.

Is it possible you mean a standing order rather than a DD? Rent is usually paid by standing order.

You should have checked your bank statements, but you know that. Now you just need to negotiate.

No it's a dd. I know I'm responsible really, was just wondering if by some miracle there is something that says I'm not if they didn't take the money as its a dd, they had the mandate and no issues with my bank, they just didn't actually set it up...

Mum2Fergus Sat 17-Aug-13 10:24:06

You're liable to pay whatever is owed. Work with them on a repayment plan if necessary...is it a large amount now due?

About £250 I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now