Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Needing to leave home, help?

(7 Posts)
Rachael200694 Fri 16-Aug-13 17:48:14

I am going to the citizens advice bureau soon as possible but was hoping someone could shed some light on what to expect as I'm a little stressed!

I am needing to leave my parents home with my baby to get my own place because of space. Is there a limit on how much rent you can get help with? There is a 2 bedroom terraced house that would be ideal as near to good school, isnt too far that id be isolated from my famiy and a safe area and costs 475 per month. I just need some housing support while I am on maternity leave and then while I finish university.
Will they humour me for that much rent and help me to have money for heating and food etc?
Never claimed benefits before so I have no idea what to expect or what is available! Little scared!

Rachael200694 Fri 16-Aug-13 17:48:41

Please excuse typo's! Didn't realise, oops! smile

If you put in your hypothetical situation in this benefits calculator here then you should be able to make informed decisions.

Rachael200694 Fri 16-Aug-13 19:30:36

Thank you i will try it out!

Anyone who could provide an example of what they get and a bit about your circumstances would be great if anyone would like to share smile

RedHelenB Fri 16-Aug-13 23:33:24

How many children do you have? You are presumably claiming child tax credits already? How many years left at university?

Rachael200694 Fri 16-Aug-13 23:40:13

I have one little boy, and I get child tax credits yep! 2 years left at University x

nataliejc77 Tue 03-Sep-13 21:23:29

Rachel i am in a similar situation. how did things work out for you? did you go to the cab? do you have any advice??
thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now