Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will anyone give us a 25 year mortgage ?

(7 Posts)
marceline Fri 16-Aug-13 00:18:46

We live with my in-laws, dh is an only child. He has recently been put on the deeds for the house as co-owner with his mother. The mortgage on the house is paid off but we want to take out a small mortgage (around 25k) to make some home improvements. Santander told us that because of Mil's (late 60s) age we can only get a mortgage over 5 years - although the mortgage would be based on Dh's income and paid by him. I'm reluctant to do this as payments would be quite high over 5 years.
Is this a general rule or would other mortgage lenders take a different view? Any information or advice would be welcome.

Gruntfuttocks Fri 16-Aug-13 00:33:25

That seems a very odd decision by Santander. I think you should shop around - surely one of the other banks will see sense. 25K is tiny in mortgage terms.

noisytoys Fri 16-Aug-13 05:38:27

Definitely shop around. Based on DHs income alone he has ages to lag a mortgage

marceline Fri 16-Aug-13 09:59:27

That's exactly what I thought. The fact that she's on the deeds would have nothing to do with the mortgage! We'll have a look elsewhere! Thanks.

Cantbebotheredtocutupfruit Mon 19-Aug-13 20:46:58

Deeds and mortgage have to match. You might be better transferring the house into dh sole name then drawing up a declaration of trust saying that he holds the property on trust for him and his mother.

Spickle Mon 19-Aug-13 23:18:16

Santander will only provide a mortgage until the oldest person is 70. Not sure if this is common with other mortgage providers.

Viviennemary Tue 20-Aug-13 12:18:28

The trouble is your mil is on the title deeds so the house does not belong entirely to your DH. So I think that's why they are reluctant to give him a mortgage. I think the fact she is on the title deeds does affect the granting of a mortgage. Have they given you a proper explanation of their decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now