Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

POPLA have found in favour of ParkingEye but didn't really address any of the arguments. Next step?

(5 Posts)
HappySeven Tue 13-Aug-13 13:09:24

I received a parking notice in March having overstayed my welcome at an Aldi car park. I sent £10 to cover 'admin' costs in accordance with advice as given some years ago. It was sent back to me with a request for my receipt from the shop. I replied saying that I hadn't kept it as I didn't know I'd need it but as the shop had shut during my allowed 2 hours there was no loss of income and therefore no legal reason to charge me. They rejected the argument but of course I could appeal via POPLA. I decide I'd go for it.

My hearing was set for 18th June but I've only just heard. The letter states everything I said but doesn't give me any reasons why I'm wrong and just says the appeal is rejected. I'm sure that legally they can only charge what they've potentially lost in income and as the shop was shut that's nothing.

Not sure what to do. I want to stick to my principles but can't see where else to go with this and my husband thinks I should just pay for an easy life.

Any advice?

Aldi were great when I got a parking notice a few months ago. I contacted customer services and they asked me to send either a receipt from the date in question or bank statements/receipts showing that I shopped there fairly regularly. They then cancelled the parking fee straight away. Might be worth trying?

HappySeven Tue 13-Aug-13 13:46:13

I think it's gone past that and it was ParkingEye that sent me the charge. If I'd managed to produce a receipt I think they'd have let me off but actually buying something isn't compulsory and the car park actually states it is for users of 'Aldi and the village'. I do shop at Aldi regularly but not usually this particular one or I think I'd give your suggestion a go.

Fran23 Mon 19-Aug-13 11:50:36

You need to go to forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60 and if possible scan and upload the actual Popla decision. The folks there are experts at this sort of thing.

HappySeven Tue 20-Aug-13 08:57:08

Thanks, Fran, I'll have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now