Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

calling all drinkers...Money saving budget tips---For wine!

(33 Posts)
bumbleandbumble Sat 10-Aug-13 19:53:08

We are in a financial mess at the moment and I am really trying to cut back spending. No more clothes, no more holidays, no more eating out, budget everything food shopping wise...

My problem is that even when I am staying in, I still would like a bottle of wine. Where is the cheapest yet good quality wine? Is there an online place that has good deals?

PedantMarina Wed 28-Aug-13 11:55:01

I'm an Aldi Baron St Jean fan myself - £2.99/bottle. The stuff they have for less (£2.49?) is not only low-power but just too fruity and sweet, IMHO.

And, general tip: Even the nastiest red wine improves with opening and decanting/breathing for a bit before consuming (I've heard a rumour that some people can wait for a few minutes before scoffing the lot).

myalias Wed 28-Aug-13 11:59:56

The boxes are good value and hold 2.25 litres equivalent of 3 bottles or 300 litres 4 bottles range from £13 - £18. The reds can last up to 3 - 4 weeks once opened.

Snoopytwist Mon 02-Sep-13 21:48:16

Add ice cubes to your glass of white - it makes it go further and is still drinkable...

Also, if you've got any cassis, buy a bottle of cheap white and put a little cassis in it - transforms harsh white into gluggable rose! Hmm - wonder if it would work with ribena?!

Notmadeofrib Tue 03-Sep-13 20:42:27

gruffalump ... tell us your brewing tips!

CelticPromise Tue 03-Sep-13 20:52:49

I like Naked wines but it's not cheap.

My top tip is to buy when the shops have their buy six get 25% off deals. Sainsbury's has something decent on offer at about a fiver usually, buy six and you get it for under four quid. Also, M&S own brand Italian white, red and rose are each about £6.50 but they are 1ltr bottles so very good value with 25% off.

wine <hic>

CremeEggThief Mon 09-Sep-13 21:17:33

Quite enjoying the retro vibe of drinking Muscadet at the moment. £4.49 a bottle from Tesco- my weekend treat smile.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 10-Sep-13 12:39:32

If your wine really is confined to being a Friday night luxury I say 'don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.... buy small amounts of decent stuff (there are plenty of special offers in the £7 - £10 range), sip it slowly and appreciate it, rather than wasting your money.

Sainsbury's House wines are only £4.50 and there are loads to choose from. Gorgeous too! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now