Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

calling all drinkers...Money saving budget tips---For wine!

(33 Posts)
bumbleandbumble Sat 10-Aug-13 19:53:08

We are in a financial mess at the moment and I am really trying to cut back spending. No more clothes, no more holidays, no more eating out, budget everything food shopping wise...

My problem is that even when I am staying in, I still would like a bottle of wine. Where is the cheapest yet good quality wine? Is there an online place that has good deals?

perplexedpirate Sat 10-Aug-13 19:56:45

You are going to get flamed for drinking whilst skint hmm but 'budget' and 'wine' are two of my favourite words so I'm place marking in anticipation.

littlemissnormal Sat 10-Aug-13 20:01:02

Lidl do a lovely Rioja and rosé.

Plus their Pimms knock off which is called Jeeves is only £5.99 a litre and you can't tell the difference.

TinyDiamond Sat 10-Aug-13 23:42:33

aldi wine is very drinkable! Do you drink red?

thistlelicker Sat 10-Aug-13 23:45:32

What about the 3 for a tenner offer Whn it's on?

specialsubject Sun 11-Aug-13 16:39:55

Aldi do what I'm told is an excellent red for £3.10 (don't drink the stuff myself). Also the investment in the kit to make your own really pays off: Wilkinson do a 30 bottle kit for £37.

Sconset Sun 11-Aug-13 16:44:53

Wine is not a necessity- you need to address your priorities!
Not flaming, but really? hmm

Talkinpeace Sun 11-Aug-13 19:38:01

Lidl
BUT
choose which nights you are drinking and justify why.
as water is MUCH better for you several nights a week
and reduces your alcohol tolerance
but
Lidl wines are good

Ruby1080 Sun 11-Aug-13 21:47:06

Aldi's Toro Loco Tempranillo is nice if you like red.

Ruby1080 Sun 11-Aug-13 21:47:42

It's about £3.80 a bottle I think.

TinyDiamond Mon 12-Aug-13 00:28:16

yes ruby! toro loco, been drinking it tonight. very good

bumbleandbumble Mon 12-Aug-13 11:22:13

thanks. will see what I can find.

of course I knew someone would come on here and start yelling at me. listen when you deal with toddlers all day long with no help...well a glass of wine on friday night is pretty much necessary for me.

go on and judge me I dont caresmile

Aldi Vina de Cana (can't do the accent marks) is about a fiver and tastes like it costs fifteen quid.

countingmyblessings Mon 12-Aug-13 17:43:02

Arniston Bay Red South African cask wine 3 litre works out to £3.75 per bottle. Don't knock it before you try it. It is superb imo.
Tesco French red or white is also top notch at £4 per bottle.

perplexedpirate Mon 12-Aug-13 21:29:37

Heh! Told ya!
I'm having a reet boozy do on Saturday and you guys are stars. smile

countrymummy13 Wed 14-Aug-13 17:32:43

www.nakedwines.com have a good scheme where by you pay in to your 'wine account' every month and that gives you an auto 25% off everything.

They're good wines too - hand-made small producer stuff.

If you google you should be able to find a good intro voucher too.

countrymummy13 Wed 14-Aug-13 17:34:46
PoshPaula Wed 14-Aug-13 17:44:35

Wine IS an essential.

superduperwuper Fri 16-Aug-13 11:15:33

Aldi / Lidl is the way to go ; )

If you are not that fussy have you considered homebrewing? - you can get the kit at car boot and it works out very cheap - we are currently getting beer for 60p a pint! First batch was dodgy but its very nice now. I know wine is different but you can use things you have "forraged" to make it as well e.g. blackberries / nettles.

HappyJoyful Fri 16-Aug-13 11:18:28

Quite a few corner shops or small convenience shops do 2 bottles for a fiver - majority of people I know consider them drinkable wines..

Sainsburys do a basic red and a basic white.. again seem drinkable.

I consider wine essential too - have to have a few 'pleasures' in life when living on a sodding tight budget!

beepoff Wed 21-Aug-13 21:38:25

Aldi toro loco is the only sub-£4 red I've found that's good.

Some of the Tesco Simply reds are good too, the Malbec and Garnacha. Prosecco too.

I recommend buying some small wine glasses. This way I can have a few glasses a night and a bottle lasts 3 "sessions". Psychologically it works for me.

Catkinsthecatinthehat Thu 22-Aug-13 00:16:00

The Co-op do really nice boxes of fairtrade red and white. The red is particularly good, a Cab Sauv/Merlot blend. Works out about £4 per bottle equivalent. Lasts several weeks once opened apparently

ivykaty44 Thu 22-Aug-13 20:49:12

If you know anyone coming back from france - I got a 10ltr box for 18 euros a decent red, it was on offer. They usually have something on offer.

countrymummy13 that site looks really good. I have just signed up to get my £60 off grin. Will look into their 'Angels' scheme tomorrow

Gruffalump Wed 28-Aug-13 11:43:18

Make your own! Can work out as cheap as £1 per bottle. We do it most of the time now, saves us a fortune. Only problem is the temptation to drink more! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now