Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Tax Credits - I'm on maternity and partner = £17000

(12 Posts)
emsiepoops Mon 05-Aug-13 20:09:50

Hi

I've done all the calculators and they come up with varying from £7.89 a week to something like £60 a week child tax credits! Is anyone in a similar situation who can give me an idea of what I'm entitled to?

I'm currently on maternity leave getting stat. maternity pay and my partner earns approximately £17,000 a year.

Thanks for any feedback! smile

How many children do you have? Does partner work 30h+?

emsiepoops Mon 05-Aug-13 20:16:37

Just 1 baby and yep he does!

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 05-Aug-13 20:21:23

we get £60 a week child tax credits and DH is on £16000 so it's probably closer to £60 than £7

emsiepoops Mon 05-Aug-13 20:25:53

Ahh thanks! Possibly the bestest news ever if so! I'm so poor haha blush

Roughly £62 CTC and possibly £7 WTC Per Week.

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 05-Aug-13 20:37:21

Are you getting working tax credits too? And how old is your baby, did you get the surestart grant? I think you have until the baby is 3 months old to claim it. Child tax credits make you eligible.

Loupee Mon 05-Aug-13 20:46:50

It depends on what your income was in the previous financial year, not what your are currently earning.

Wossname Mon 05-Aug-13 20:52:39

You can give an accurate estimate for the coming year and the claim will be based on that. They disregard the first 100 a week of your Mat pay. Just make sure you work out exactly how much you.ll be getting April to march next year.

emsiepoops Fri 06-Sep-13 13:08:24

So I got my claim back and qualify for nothing hmm sad

I phoned up and finallyyy got through!! Effort or what. And have said im on maternity so my income is obviously less than last year, they have me as earning £15,000 and partner earning £18,000. She was lovely and helpful and helped work out this year to next April. Something about deducting £3900 and my income is now worked out as £5800 for the year.

I'll get a new claim award statement thing so I'm so hoping it's changed and I get a little something?! xxx

Babyroobs Fri 06-Sep-13 15:48:37

The cut off point for child tax credits with one child is £26K so if between you your income is almost £24 k you may get a tiny bit but it won't be much I'm afraid. When you go back to work you may well get some help towards childcare costs.

Mrsambition Sat 07-Sep-13 15:08:24

Hi, i could have written this. We are in the same position with roughly the same amount of earnings. We did our renewal stating the changes and they awarded us a big fat £0!! I called them.... yes, huge effort and eventually they realised that they haddnt changed our details either. I wonder what the point of a renewal is?? They are pretty useless at HMRC.

Any way they changed the details and i am also waiting on a reply. They couldnt tell me over the phone if i would be awarded anything. A few years ago they were able to caculate over the phone and tell you how much & when you would get it. Don't know why they can't do that now.

Fingers crossed we both get some good news soon smile if you hear please keep us updated & i shall do the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now