Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI questions

(14 Posts)
ExtremeCouponQueen Mon 05-Aug-13 14:02:22

Hi,

I was thinking of putting in a claim with Gladstone Brookes for PPI. I don't know if I have been missold PPI, but have had a mortgage and credit cards in the past, so if I am eligible I would like the refund.

Has anyone had any experience in claiming back PPI?

Longdistance Mon 05-Aug-13 14:11:18

Yes. Don't use s company to do it, some will take 40% shock

I just wrote off the companies personally, stating my name, address, what product I had. They then wrote back saying they were dealing with it, and they said yay or nay to my claim.

Capital One were guilty as sin, and paid up ASAP. I had to fight Debenhams store cards.

In the end, after all the claims, I got £1,500 back altogether. Imagine 40% of that going to a company? No chance.

elvisola Mon 05-Aug-13 14:36:43

I got back over £3k just by posting a couple of forms, it's really easy. Have a look on moneysavingexpert, you can print off the forms and there is lots of advice.

I didn't have many details at all and the banks dealt with it all their end and just sent me cheques.

Don't give a PPI company all your money for the sake of filling in a form.

ExtremeCouponQueen Mon 05-Aug-13 14:38:31

I just called Gladstone Brooke's and they said they take 25% of your claim.

I genuinely can't remember details of my credit card company, I know it was Egg which then became barclaycard. Is paid off now, but is it as simple as me writing to them and asking for a refund?

I would have no clue how to go about it.

gamerchick Mon 05-Aug-13 14:39:52

Yes there's a form you can use on MSE I would really advise doing it yourself.

Husband used a company.. this was before the test case was won and he got just over 3 grand back (ironically after the case was won) but the company took a grand of it and boy did they HOUND him until he transferred the money.

DuelingFanjo Mon 05-Aug-13 14:46:53

I wrote to my bank and got almost £3000 back within two weeks. well worth it.

"I genuinely can't remember details of my credit card company, I know it was Egg which then became barclaycard"

Contact Egg or Barclay card and ask them to send you details of your account numbers.

ExtremeCouponQueen Mon 05-Aug-13 16:05:12

Thank you Duelling!

RandallPinkFloyd Mon 05-Aug-13 16:12:26

Everything you need is on here

Don't use a CMC! They can do nothing you can't do yourself, and actually make your case weaker a lot of the time by using generic, non-applicable allegations.

Just fill in the questionnaire with as much information as you can remember and send it in making sure you stipulate that you want them to investigate all accounts you have held with them.

Good luck smile

Longdistance Mon 05-Aug-13 16:14:45

I got a PPI refund back from Egg. Was rather simple to get my money back, after writing a letter.

LadyKooKoo Mon 05-Aug-13 16:55:32

Egg have been taken over by Canada Square. I shall post the address when I get home as i got some money from them recently. To note, I did not chase them, they wrote to me saying that they belived I was due a refund dating back to an account I had with Egg circa 2004. I have got married and moved twice since then and they had my new address and married name so they will be able to find your details with very little info.

LadyKooKoo Mon 05-Aug-13 19:19:14

Canada Square, |PO Box 4903, Worthing, BN99 3AR

ExtremeCouponQueen Tue 06-Aug-13 11:15:40

Thank you lady

ExtremeCouponQueen Tue 06-Aug-13 11:22:29

so do I need to write a letter asking for documentation/evidence that i was missold PPI?

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 06-Aug-13 12:34:45

No, not at all.

Just fill in the FOS questionnaire as best as you can and send it off. In the box where it asks for the account number just put 'all accounts'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now