Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Students on maternity leave + returning to studies

(3 Posts)

Hi everyone,

I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and trying to figure out if I am entitled to any financial support whilst on maternity leave. I am a full time postgraduate social work student and I do not get assistance through my student funding. My OH is a teacher and earns £21500 a year roughly (before tax, pension, NI contributions).

I intend on returning to finish my course when the baby is around 7 months old. Will we get financial assistance from somewhere to assist with childcare costs?

Hopefully someone with a similar situation will be able to answer my questions. The websites about benefits never seem to have any information about being a pregnant student or a student parent. I don't know who to ask! Should I go to CAB or the Job Centre?

Michelle

CheeseFondueRocks Sun 04-Aug-13 20:41:54

Your DH should be able to claim tax credits if he works 24+ hours a week. I'm not sure about childcare costs though. Your university might have information on this.

Thanks. The problem with tax credits is that they're going to be under universal credit by the time the baby is born and I'm unsure if the eligibility is changing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now