Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Rent/Mortgage - What % of take home income do you spend?

(78 Posts)
escape Thu 01-Aug-13 22:45:59

I am driving myself crazy deciding weather to rent a house that would cost £400 pcm more than I pay currently.
I believe can afford it, and for various reasons it will make me so mch more happier ( lifestyle/sanity!)

Can I ask what % of your households take home income do you spend on rent or mortgage - I want to know if I am being frivolous even contemplating this... TIA.

About 14% if my maths is not too shocking...

Pascha Fri 02-Aug-13 08:17:41

Approx 35%.

envy of 5%

Notyetthere Fri 02-Aug-13 08:19:56

Take home combined income £3k after tax, 40% towards mortgage payments. Our payments jumped from 30% when we bought our 1st home.

escape Fri 02-Aug-13 08:48:40

I agree that there is no formula - i think I was 'looking' for one!
I have savings fora deposit to buy - obviously that pot can never be too small and savings are a good thing.
Living here has become pretty unbearable for me, I have been actively looking for over a year - they are just SO far and few between what I live in now and the next 'step' up - detached/4 bed etc. This 400 pcm difference is the 'average' price for the upgraded space etc, and I do like this particular house.

Quite vulnerable these past couple of years and am sole earner/breadwinner - and petrified of making the wrong decision!

bigkidsdidit Fri 02-Aug-13 08:52:09

5%! Wow!

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 02-Aug-13 08:55:30

15%

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 02-Aug-13 08:56:36

I'm exactly the same as sleephoglet! £4k net and £800 on mortgage. But we were paying £1k a month before at a higher rate.

Damnautocorrect Fri 02-Aug-13 08:58:42

50-75% oh is self employed so it varies

delilahbelle Fri 02-Aug-13 08:59:36

25%, but DH sometimes overpays as well.

HappyAsASandboy Fri 02-Aug-13 09:00:44

I don't think the percentage on rent/mortgage is really a goo guide to affordability. The evening standard had a great article on this on Wednesday; basically saying I you live outside of London, with half the rent, it actually costs you more because of travel. I think it makes more sense to look at the actual figures, or at least the percentage spent on non-discretionary things (rent/mortgage, Childcare, commuting).

For what it's worth, we pay about 20% of our combined net salary as mortgage. Childcare (part time places) is anoth 20% and travel is about 15%. That leaves us with very little at the end of the month once bills, food etc are paid.

McFluffy Fri 02-Aug-13 09:04:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsPear Fri 02-Aug-13 09:09:04

50%

No that is not typo - half our income goes on rent. Not entitled to benefits or social housing as DH earns too much. I live in a 3 bed masionette [sp] on a council estate in SE London with 2 children, DH and BIL.

Very envious of the 0 people.

GrumpyKat Fri 02-Aug-13 09:09:32

26% of a normal month (dh is self employed and it's variable). We save for one big holiday a year and live quite well the rest of the time. I wouldn't want to be paying anything higher than that, in fact we have abandoned our plans to move to a 'better area' as we sat down and worked it out and we would basically have to do nothing.

MrsPear Fri 02-Aug-13 09:13:21

Oh and an estate agent said that the formula they use when working out if someone can afford to rent a property is to divide pre tax / NI income by 3 then by 12. So if you earn 26k (which I believe is national average) you would be able to rent a property at 722.22 which would get a studio and if you are lucky a one bed flat round here.

madamginger Fri 02-Aug-13 09:14:24

20% but I only work part time. In a couple of years when ds2 starts school I'll go back to work full time and it will go down

Portofino Fri 02-Aug-13 09:16:53

25%. We rent and are planning to downsize and save money to buy some for retirement.

3boys3dogshelp Fri 02-Aug-13 09:19:51

About 25%, will jump to about 34% while I'm on mat leave - I'm dreading it.

Procrastinating Fri 02-Aug-13 09:20:13

25%. We recently moved, it was about 10% before. I work from home and for me the move up was scary but worth it. We now have plenty of space, a big garden and I have a study.

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 02-Aug-13 09:23:20

3boys3dogshelp don't worry, maternity leave is temporary. Everyone goes through this. It gets very very tight towards the end!

bunjies Fri 02-Aug-13 09:25:02

I am sole earner and rent is 45% of net income sad.

IdaClair Fri 02-Aug-13 09:33:23

At the moment it is 74% of our earnings as DH is out of work.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 02-Aug-13 09:42:36

5% is nice but we live in a three bed semi as opposed to a bigger house like most of our friends.

I know a 3 bed semi is still nice and bigger than what some people have.

We could move to a bigger property and have more space but I prefer having more disposable income to be honest. And I always worry about redundancies, illness, etc.

specialsubject Fri 02-Aug-13 11:03:51

your landlord should be nervous if the rent is more than 40% or so of your income.

We are similar to Viva, ours is a small 3 bed semi that DH bought 10 years ago when single and on £15k less. We're in a rubbish area and the market is very slow, so will be hard to move once we're in a position to.

thehomesecretary Fri 02-Aug-13 12:58:36

DH is sole earner at the moment and our rent is 44% of net income. We seem to manage ok...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now