Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SINGLE MUMS!! Come and tell me how you managed to get off benefits and afford to run a house!

(5 Posts)
Wetthemogwai Thu 25-Jul-13 14:05:53

Dd (2 and a half years) and I (22) have just moved into a housing association house and I, as a single parent, am running it alone with the help of benefits.

I had an interview for college today which was great and inspiring until it came to the tuition fees.
I have qualifications already but nothing particularly useful and half a degree that I can't/won't finish meaning I have 3 of my 5 years of student finance eligibility left. I COULD use a student loan to pay for it however it is an access to higher education course so the final year of the degree I plan to do after wouldn't be covered and there for I'd have to pay for myself. Paying for this access course myself would work out much cheaper.

Today I got a letter from the job centre saying that I am to be fined over £100 for not declaring some part time work I'd done.
I did declare it however the way it was handled meant that they had to go to the employer for proof and by the end of it it is now 4 months since I worked those 2 shifts and it has 'only just been declared'.
I can't seem to do right for doing wrong.

So, right now it seems I am trapped on benefits forever with no one willing to throw me a rope.

Help!

I just want to better myself and be a good example to dd. plus, I'm bored and need to get out of this awful rut I've got myself into.

I'm 22 with my own house and a beautiful child ffs, life should be better than this!

Runningchick123 Thu 25-Jul-13 16:15:23

As you are 22 could to do an apprenticeship and earn whilst learning?
Or a career development loan might be useful as they don't have to be paid back if you go on to attend uni after completing the college course.

SuckAtRelationships Wed 31-Jul-13 21:10:07

I am 23 and just got a job.

I studied with the OU and had my fees paid for me, am now half way through and my work so far was enough to get me a part time job in the NHS. Whilst studying I was on income support (I also got child benefit, council tax help, housing benefit, and child tax credit - I hope I can pay some of this back through taxes now)

I would reccommend the OU route for all single parents trying to get somewhere x

escape Fri 02-Aug-13 08:52:20

What are for career/job plans - what do you want to do?
It is a trap it s very easy to get stuck into.
I am self employed - now I have the huge worry/pressure of supporting us all - it's never easy either way.
If I was to be 'emptied' I have no idea what I would do in the current climate!

maniccats Sun 01-Sep-13 13:21:05

If you want to study I would suggest doing something vocational that will lead to a job afterwards. I have a degree in languages which is all but useless, and I am overqualified for entry level jobs. 2 of my children did vocational degrees (Medicine and Quantity Surveying) that led straight to jobs. My daughter is doing a vocational Masters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now