Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with council and landlord, ANY advice welcome

(26 Posts)
lostmumsarah989 Tue 23-Jul-13 22:10:44

Hi, I've not been on here for a while but need some help with my current housing situation.... Iv privately rented for nearly 6 years, currently in receipt of full HB but my landlord has just informed me that he plans on putting the rent up, told him I couldn't afford to pay anything myself as I'm in a lot of debt. Says he has to put it up anyway, went to the council to see if there was any advice available but told I was pretty much stuck in a corner as I didn't pay a deposit to move into this house therefore wouldn't have the money to private rent again, (tried all avenues with regards to borrowing money). The council tell me that If he serves me with a 2 months notice to leave and I do leave then I have made myself 'intentionally homeless' and that they will not help me so the only route I'd have was to wait until he took me to court and the bailiffs were to evict me. Surely that's not right?!
I wouldnt want to have to do that to my landlord as he is a good guy but needs the extra rent. The council also don't advise I stay in accommodation (my house) where I can't afford to pay the rent.
I'm so confused and worried right now it's just me and my 5 year old daughter here and I have no clue where I stand, any advice would be helpful or any experience with any of it

lostmumsarah989 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:53:44

Thank you for all your advice and support, I'm going to go to the CAB on Friday and see where I stand with it all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now